My roosters aren't crowing. Is that weird?

tumnus

Chirping
Jan 28, 2017
Oregon
Hiya! First time raising quail. My coturnix are now 11 weeks old. The egg laying has been hit or miss, which I chock up to weather and time of the year (it's been super rainy, super cloudy, and we just hit 13 hours of daylight a day now). I'm hoping that picks up soon. The females do show some signs of being mated with, like missing feathers on the back, and I saw one rooster jump on a hen for a moment, though that could have been nothing. But the roosters aren't crowing.

I know, I see threads here sometimes that are like "how do I make this dumb bird shut up?" so maybe I should count my blessings, but is a lack of crowing a sign that mating probably isn't happening?

Last edited:
When happy males tend to only crow to declare their territory. My boys will crow at dawn and dusk and it might only be once.

Mine hardly ever crow.. Its more like a high pitch thrill... You can sorts imitate it by putting your lips together and blow hard and make that thrill.. Like a beep beeeep thrill... Hmm hard to explain with words lol!

I had to separate the roo from his lady friends due to some domestic violence in the cage.. And him being alone in the hospital cage.. Oh boy!! Did he crow all day... Starting from 5am!!

I too it as.. "I want my ladies back!!!" and gonna annoy u tell u put me back with em......

But other then that it's pretty quiet....

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

My boys don't "crow" during winter. When they do, it's if I'm late with their feeding and they want attention or when the males get separated and they are trying to find each other - that's a territorial thing. They once woke me up in the middle of the night crowing. I went to see them and I saw a possum on top of their cage trying to get in.

What's your male to female ratio? Your female should have very little to none feather pulled out from the neck if the ratio is correct.

The ratio isn't what it should be. I have two separate flocks. One with a rooster and 3 hens. The other has a rooster and 2 hens. I've been keeping a close eye for any kind of violent behavior. I just stuck five eggs in the incubator to see if they're fertile and hopefully get some more hens into the mix.

Back
Top Bottom