My Roosters aren't interested??? How to get them to do the WILD THING?

JordanFamily

Crowing
16 Years
Feb 4, 2008
Archie, MO
OK I have two nice sized bantam Polish Roosters and 9 hens. 2 hens are bantam Polish, 5 are standard Polish and two are large sex links. Why are my two Roosters only wanting to mate with my little bantam Polish hen? How can I get them to try with the other hens? Some are almost the same size as them so they should be able to but they only want to mate with my tiniest hen? And another question: My other bantam hen acts scared so the Roos can't get close enough to her to even try mounting her. If she sees them she takes off running? They are all in a large room in my barn. Should I place them in a small pen so the girls can't run away? And if so how small of a pen and how many should I put in with one Roo. Thanks for your advice...

You don't say how old these birds are. Could be that the urge hasn't hit yet. Is the one bantam hen that's being mated the only one that's laying. The boys know these things.
wink.png

Quote:
Sometime cockerels will pick favorites. Lets face it, these boys are spoiled. Now you take them out from the girls for three or four days, then turn them loose wiith smaller number of girls and then see what happens. Now, IF the girls are not laying, well that is self explanatory

Quote:
One Roo is 3 years old and the other is just under 1 years old. Both are trying with the tiny bantam hen... I'm not sure who exactly is laying but I'm only getting 2 standard Polish eggs a day and 1 or 2 bantam eggs... So I'm pretty sure both bantam hens are laying and at least a couple of the standard Polish hens but only the tiny bantam hen is being mounted... I checked and only her eggs are fertile... I know both the large sex links are laying because their eggs are brown... Do you think it maybe just to early in the season??? I know the Roos don't have a chance with the large mean sex links but was hoping they would at least try with the Polish hens... Both my males top feathers are plucked and they are bold, so could this be an issue to, like their being bullied to much by the larger gals to try????
sad.png

Yep! My roos are pretty selective as well. I was told that size doesn't make a difference(batams & standard) but that's sooo not true for my boys! And like you said sometimes they even prefer certain hens within their own league!
gig.gif

Quote:
One Roo is 3 years old and the other is just under 1 years old. Both are trying with the tiny bantam hen... I'm not sure who exactly is laying but I'm only getting 2 standard Polish eggs a day and 1 or 2 bantam eggs... So I'm pretty sure both bantam hens are laying and at least a couple of the standard Polish hens but only the tiny bantam hen is being mounted... I checked and only her eggs are fertile... I know both the large sex links are laying because their eggs are brown... Do you think it maybe just to early in the season??? I know the Roos don't have a chance with the large mean sex links but was hoping they would at least try with the Polish hens... Both my males top feathers are plucked and they are bold, so could this be an issue to, like their being bullied to much by the larger gals to try????
sad.png

My roo laid off all winter. I saw him mate his favorite today. First time in awhile. I have one hen that gives my roo a look every time he even so much as glances in her direction. The look clearly says, try it buddy and you're dog food. Never had a single fertile egg from her that I know of.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom