My Ruby Girl is getting pecked

Sep 19, 2023
Soo guys my Turken hen that I got recently with two others that were significantly older size wise for sure and I thought she would just go hang out with my original three (two salmon faverolles and my rooster who is a Turken and her sibling) she does hang out with them a little and I never see any of them not even the older ones ever being aggressive but Rubys neck is covered in peck marks I’ve been trying hen healer and blu-kote and I have her in a dog kennel now with my three smaller chicks they cuddle sometimes when they are hiding from big mama so I figured they’d be okay is there anything more I should be doing or trying

A new pecking order has to be established when new ones are added. It will probably happen again once she goes back with the others. Many times a new bird may be picked on, but the usual causes of picking are overcrowding, boredom, not getting out to free range, too much light inside the coop or nest boxes, and some breeds can be more aggressive. Can you spend so time with them to see who is pecking her? A game camera might come in handy. Sometimes pecking occurs while they are getting on the roost in the evening. Some people have used pinless peepers on the bully to prevent them from targeting another chicken, but it still lets them get food and water.

Back
Top Bottom