My runners are two weeks old... can they go outside

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickenlittle1980, May 20, 2010.

1. chickenlittle1980

chickenlittle1980 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    NC
    and play in the sunshine? And at what age can they start getting feeder fish?

2. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Mine go out in the sun when it's warm and I'm home at 1 wk old. I have a covered outdoor pen for them. The adults ducks come stare at them. I make sure they have food water and a shady spot to get out of the sun. They are still in a brooder at night. Hopefully if the weather cooperates they will go out to duck pen with a heat lamp in it when they turn three weeks old. I will keep them in the duck house totally for a week then open the door so they can explore thier pen on good days. This will give the adult chickens and ducks time to get used to them so when they get integrated into the whole flock it won't be so traumatic.

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    As long as it is warm enough for them- they can go outside at two weeks old- After all- if a mother duck was raising them- thats where they would be. Just make sure they have a sheltered area to go to - and still bring them in if they are looking cold and when it starts to cool down in the afternoon.

4. SDChef

SDChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Quote:x2

Mine were living outside with no light at 13 days. They have been just fine and I can tell they like it MUCH better. I just kept them in a wooden shed at night and let them into a small covered pen during the day, maybe 4' x 4'. as long as the weather keeps above 60 you should be just fine!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by