My schedule for meat chickens & Turkeys

Bil

Songster
11 Years
May 8, 2008
Cottage Grove, OR
So, let me see if I have all my information correct.

I am planning on doing one group of Cornish X and some turkeys for meat. All will be done in our pasture, and I am planning on using a hoop tractor for all of them. I would like to build just one tractor this year so here is my plan.

If I can work it out to have all my birds delivered on the same day I will have the CornishX in the brooder for about 3 weeks and then on pasture for 5 weeks and then we'll process.

If I am correct, I'll need to keep the turkeys in the brooder about 8 weeks so if my math is correct I'll process the chickens and then I could move the turkeys out to the tractor the next day. I'll be moving the chickens a couple of times a day, and I plan on using the tractor more as a coop for the turkeys and I'll have an electric poultry net for the turkeys.

So if I have the all delivered the end of May my chickens will be ready the mid to end of July and the turkeys around November. I hope!

Does this all make sense?

Bil

I've never raised turkeys but your math seems good to me
thumbsup.gif
. Let us know how it goes. This may be a good option for others to fill up their freezers!

You did not tell us how many you are getting of each. Also I am thinking that 8 weeks for the Cornish-X is probably a little long. Those things grow fast. Also I am thinking you are talking about Broad Breasted Turkeys, yes?
Sharon

You did not tell us how many you are getting of each.

I don't really see the relevance of that question on the grow out time ??? 1 take the same time as 1,000 ???

So if I have the all delivered the end of May my chickens will be ready the mid to end of July and the turkeys around November. I hope!

Yeah if you do that should work out perfect. Depending how much the Cornish X's run free ?? The more freedom they have to roam the longer they take to grow out. Usually on the pasture they will take 8-10 weeks to get a good big broiler. that is if they are not in tractors 24/7, if they are then I would say 6-8 weeks on the broilers. Turkeys will need 24-28 weeks if they are heritage turkeys fed on a high protein diet. If they are BB then they will need around 5 months fed on the same feeding schedule as your broilers 12 on 12 off and the same feed, lower protein then the heritage turkeys. 20-24% broilers and BB turkeys 25-30% Heritage turkeys.

Basically yes no matter what you choose you'll be fine. the BB turkeys you could actually schedule back a month as you'll have 6 months to grow out and the BB turkeys will be HUGE in 6 months.​

Last edited:
I'm planning on doing around 50 Cornish X and only 5 or so Turkeys. I am wanting to do more of the heritage type turkeys like a Narragansett. We don't need HUGE turkeys, we are only a family of 5 so a 6 month heritage turkey should be just about the right size.

Thanks everybody.

Bil

I am wanting to do more of the heritage type turkeys like a Narragansett. We don't need HUGE turkeys, we are only a family of 5 so a 6 month heritage turkey should be just about the right size.

If you are getting hatchery birds you will want to go with a bigger heritage bird for a 6 month grow out. As all the rest will not make it in 6 months and I think you'll be disappointed. The hatchery birds don't have good genetics,that will be able to get you that bird you want !!!

If I was you I would go with White Hollands or Standard Bronzes from a hatchery. They should make you a nice bird for T-day and a real nice bird for Xmas

Narragansett is on the smaller size for the heritage turkey anyways so from hatchery birds you would only get a 10 lb or so dressed turkey more then likely in a 6 month grow out..​

Back
Top Bottom