My Sebright is a Gestapo chicken ..is your Sebright

freefly

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Guam
Argghh, Carlita my Sebright is bossy and difficult right now.
She stands 6 inches tall and is the boss of the whole flock who are heavies and standard size.

She has babies at the moment so I understand she is feeling a little protective and all.... but she was always so bossy before the babies as well.

Carlita (the Sebright) went running half way across the yard to pounce on my Astralorp laying a egg in her box. My poor Australorp jumped out of her laying box freaking out.
Carlita has to have all the food. My chickens are free range and have all the space needed. I make 3 feeding piles in the morning and Carlita runs from one pile to another not letting anyone eat, plus she chases they others and grabs onto thier feathers on their backs and hangs off them while they are screaming and trying to get away from her.

But she is so pretty ... and communacative with us...... we love her so, but the other chickens not some much.

I only have had one experience with a Sebright... is this normal behaviour????
Tell me about your Sebright

Sounds like sebright behavior to me! They are bossy to other birds, social with their people, and they are impossible to catch!!!

My sebright, Chiquita, is on the low end of the pecking order. She gets picked on by my rooster and 2 other chickens (she's the only bantam).

However, she attacks the pigeons and sparrows that fly into our backyard to eat their leftovers. The other day she beat up a pigeon so badly, I thought it was going to die.

Carlita is very demanding in the morning when she wakes for her food.
My chickens here are free range and perch in the trees around the house.
I leave wheat for them so when they get up at dawn there is something for them but Carlita screams and yells and crows ( hen crowing) until I come out with her favourite which is rolled oats... I give that as a treat, she knows how to ask for what she wants. She doesn't go without. She just keeps scretching until I come out and give her rolled oats.
She is the only chicken who knows here name.
Impossible to catch, but since she has had her babies she lets me pat her after she has gone to bed and she purrs.
I was thinking of getting another but now I think one is enough.
8565_p7170019.jpg

Ditto everything you said about your Sebright!

My Pippa is noisy, bossy and sometimes mean. She's picked me in the eye 4 times! Little meanie
rant.gif

None of my other chickens try to do that.

She's too noisy for my suburban backyard - who needs a rooster when you have a Sebright!

we have a silver seabright who lost her toes to frostbite years ago (we got her as a rescue) she usually stays out of the way of the big birds and roosts by her self on a window sill. Tonight when I was out there she was under our big dominant dorking rooster. You could barely see her sticking out from under him. I thought he had sat on her and squished her, but he got up and moved over. So she just plowed right back under neath him and snuggled up.

I have 3 golden sebright pullets right now, almost at the age of laying. None of them boss around the bigger birds partly because (i'm guessing here..) 1. I have a Golden sebright roo and a Silkie roo in with the flock (i have an over abundance of roosters in the flock that i reaaaaally need to get rid of and 2. there are more than one sebright. Maybe she feels the need to defend herself? I understand this is normal sebright behavior but my pullets don't even try to boss around the others. Maybe once I get rid of all the extra roos they will start to defend themselves. Hope this helped
smile.png

I have two golden sebrights, one of them has made a crow sound on occation. This happend in the morning. I let them out in the morning to free range. I havent heard a crow sound since I started letting them out everyday. They love to free range all day until dark only coming to the coop for water or to lay an egg. They can be chatty at times and I was worried about complaints from neighbors but they are mostly quiet. I never hear them when im inside the house as I do hear crows and other wild birds, and dogs, with the exception of the few times one made a crow sound before I knew they liked to be out. They are skiddish and hard to catch. They seem to be getting better with time, they will come so close but still cant get them to eat out my hand. They are 7 1/2 months old. They like grass, clover, corn, feed crumbles, meal worms, and whatever else they free range. They always stay under pine trees or shrubs or some sort of cover, im guessing they naturally fear hawks. One gets vocal if separated from the other, I have some bantam brahma and d uccle chicks 5 weeks old. I hope they will intermingle without conflict in a few weeks. The two sebrights I have started laying in middle of september and have averaged 1.4 eggs per day between the two which is about one egg per hen every other day.

Back
Top Bottom