1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My self-build backyard coop & run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Daedalus62, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Daedalus62

Daedalus62 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2013
    Portugal
    My Coop
    Hi all,

From sunny Portugal, some pictures of my new diy coop (my rendition of the Purina Coop design) & run... Hope you like it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Only 5 girls in it now (resting close to the wall in one of the pics)... Waiting for these little guys to grow up a bit and joint them!!

[​IMG]

Regards

2. Valk

Valk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Durango, Colorado
    That looks great, Daedalus62. The dual-opening doors make it look easy to clean. Enjoy! Oh, I'm glad Portugal is getting sun! [​IMG] In sunny SW Colorado, we're getting rain like crazy! Must be some kind of meteorological swapping!

3. Daedalus62

Sep 12, 2013
    Portugal
    My Coop
    Hi Valk;

Yes... A bit more work when building, but doors like this make for much easier access. Thanks!!

Regards

4. OKchkman

OKchkman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2011
    SouthEast Oklahoma
    What a great coop/run. I did the same thing.....
    [​IMG]

I eventually enclosed the bottom and painted it...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right now I'm working on expanding the pen area for more room...
    Glad to have ya here

5. CarmenPT

CarmenPT Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2013
    Portugal
    That looks great Deadalus62, thanks for sharing. How many m2 do you have outside?
    Parabéns está muito giro!! ( só escrevo em inglês para todos seguirem o tópico [​IMG] )

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Very nice coop!

[​IMG]

7. chynasparks

chynasparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    Texas
    I agree with the double doors. Hubby built our coop, the access doors to the nest area are large double doors. I have plenty of room to reach in to clean. They don't go all the way down to ground but they are large, opening up the nest box nicely. I can lean in and reach corners. You have a nice coop great job.

8. Daedalus62

Sep 12, 2013
    Portugal
    My Coop
    Hi all,

Thanks for all your compliments!!... All new to chicken keeping, but I love a building challenge and this was/is a good project... Trying to keep the costs down was (a big) part of it... [​IMG]

Now, using some leftover wood from the coop build, I'm building a feeder... Work in progress... Some pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It will be hanging from a horizontal pole and, next to it, a bucket with some water nipples in the bottom... My feeding/watering station... [​IMG]

Hi CarmenPT,

Haven't really measured it [​IMG]... Roughly I would say somewhere from 25 to 30m2.

Where are you from?... I live in Alcabideche, near Cascais/Estoril.

Good luck with your build!!

Regards

9. marilyn1954

marilyn1954 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2013
    Small town America
    I am building the Purina coop too! How many chickens can this hold??[​IMG]

10. Daedalus62

Sep 12, 2013
    Portugal
    My Coop
    Hi marilyn1954,

I'm a newbie to chicken keeping but, from what I gather...

The Purina coop plan says 8... But if you have enough perch space (I have 4 perches in mine) AND good ventilation/air circulation, I think you can go up to 12 without problems... That's what I intend to do... Given that they're only inside the coop to perch during the night and that you need an average of 1 nest per 4 birds (3 nests in the Purina coop plan, 3 X 4 = 12).

Like I said, this is just my educated guess... People with chicken raising experience (not me!), may tell you otherwise.

Nice coop!

Regards

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by