My Shamo is sick - watery gooey eyes and throwing up water

Birdfeathers123

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 20, 2013
Centre County, Pennsylvania
Hi Everyone,

I am asking for help because my 1.5 month old female O-Shamo has been sick for weeks and I can't seem to figure out what it is let alone fix it. She has been isolated since symptoms started. The pictures don't show it well, but she has a glossy film over her eye (not her inner eyelid), and often has goop around her eye. Almost every time I pick her up, she'll end up throwing up water at some point, shaking it out of her mouth. At one point she had foam forming on her eye so I put her on antibiotics and her eye isn't foaming anymore, but obviously she is not yet healthy. I have other chicks in separate containers, but in the same room and am nervous of a potential disease traveling to the other chicks - I'm really hoping it's not Newcastle. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you!

I am having the same problem I had a 11 chicks hatch and one had goopy eye now I just had 17 more hatch from different hens Now 5 have it just after they hatched :/ I have been using deramiyin in there water and cleaning there eyes and putting antibiotic ointment on it and seems to be helping but not sure what is causing this :( I am new to having chickins and hatching chicks wished someone would give more info on here I have posted about this and no one answerd. Hope your chick is doing better :)

Last edited:
I used neosporin I just placed in in/on their eye. After I used a warm wash cloth and washed the area
It is like when adults get pink eye
You need to keep floor clean the ammonia from urine may hurt their eyes
Conjunctivitis is inflammation of the conjunctiv a (membranes that line the eyelids) and the exposed sclera (white part of the eye). Affected birds have reddened, swollen eyelids, and are sensitive to and avoid light. If high ammonia levels persist, the cornea, the outermost part of the front of the eyeball, becomes ulcerated and blindness may occur.

Back
Top Bottom