My silkie has just started to crow!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by red rosecomb, Oct 30, 2008.

1. red rosecomb

red rosecomb Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2008
    Pretoria- South Africa
    I have these 2 young silkies that i got from a friend and one of them started making little rooster sounds and it started to crow this morning....at least i think it was crowing [​IMG]

What i mean to say is that the sound it made was so funny and unlike anything i've heard before but it did look like it was crowing. I never had silkies before and i am just wandering is this normal or it something to worry about.

I mean, you should hear this sound [​IMG] it sounds like a rooster crowing in a shaking box!!!

2. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm listening to our young silkie roosters learn to crow as I type. Funny sounding little guys. The funniest one though is our Orloff.

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Yes, Totally normal and funny !! When one of my little boys started he started with a "hooonk hoooonk" and now he is at a "aaaaaahhhhhhhoooooo" I laugh EVERY time I hear him !! Hopefully they will get better as they get older !! LOL !!!

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    It is very normal and yes, it's a real riot to hear them learning how to crow. [​IMG]

5. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    How old are you silkies? Mine are 9 weeks, but I thought I heard that usually silkies are late crowing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by