My silkie has laid an egg at 18 weeks - is that ok

Christine12

In the Brooder
Jul 10, 2020
I hatched my first batch of chickens (silkies) on 1 July 2020. Today one of my silkie hens has laid an egg. I was thinking more likely to be March or April because she is still young and it is winter. Is this normal. The egg is perfectly formed, a cream coloured and small. She had no interest of brooding it. There are no cockerels as unfortunately I had to re-home them due to rules and out of 9 was left 6 hens. Can somebody tell !e if this is normal. I did see one of them lifting her wings yesterday while standing still like she was stretching, was this her in process of laying? I am novice so excuse questions. Regards

I hatched my first batch of chickens (silkies) on 1 July 2020. Today one of my silkie hens has laid an egg. I was thinking more likely to be March or April because she is still young and it is winter. Is this normal. The egg is perfectly formed, a cream coloured and small. She had no interest of brooding it. There are no cockerels as unfortunately I had to re-home them due to rules and out of 9 was left 6 hens. Can somebody tell !e if this is normal. I did see one of them lifting her wings yesterday while standing still like she was stretching, was this her in process of laying? I am novice so excuse questions. Regards
signs-.jpeg

FYI- It is now 21 weeks since July 1st.

I don't know about silkies, but that isn't an unreasonable age for some breeds. Sounds like she did fine for her first egg. Enjoy it and let her know she's a good girl. :)

Some other details:
  • Hens do not need cockerels to lay eggs. They just won't be fertile.
  • Hens don't brood all of their eggs. Different breeds become "broody" more or less often and will hatch multiple eggs including eggs of other hens that end up in the same nest.

Back
Top Bottom