My Silkie rooster is either severely depressed or traumatized by the severe mite infestation and/or traumatized from losing territorial rooster fight

The_Silkie_Farm

Songster
Apr 26, 2019
Cypress, Texas
My Coop
My Coop
My Silkie rooster is either severely depressed or traumatized by the severe mite infestation and/or traumatized from losing territorial rooster fight.

Something is very wrong with one of my silky roosters he used to breed regularly very fertile, very vocal and bred all the time and active but ever since he had a severe my infestation and he did heal it was tough but I absolutely cured him 100% but he is no longer interested
in reading whatsoever Neighbor Across always stays by himself in a corner very secluded and antisocial happening for over a month now any ideas ? He’s about a year and 3 months old…

When was the fight? Is the winner of the fight still around? Just the sound of the winner's crow could be a reminder to the Silkie.
Is there any other things that might show that there's something health wise wrong? I don't know much on worming, but does he need that?

I had a silkie with a head injury that just passed away. Never noticed it until he died, but his skull was fractured and brain swollen. It was sad, but it explained why his behavior was so different from the others. I wormed him, gave medicine, but nothing ever worked.

How did you treat the mites? Mine also had mites, but i got rid of them, but he died shortly after. How big is your flock and are they free ranging birds?

When was the fight? Is the winner of the fight still around? Just the sound of the winner's crow could be a reminder to the Silkie.
Is there any other things that might show that there's something health wise wrong? I don't know much on worming, but does he need that?
Thank you so much for replying! Yes, the winner is still around but Sammy, (The undone rooster) had a severe mite infestation and a nasty swollen shut eye however I separated him and treated as well and he did get better. He did get anemic and almost died from it. This was very shortly after he lost the territorial battle.it’s been several months since all this. He acts better, healthy, eats, drinks, but is a loner and NEVER CROWS anymore.

Thank you so much for replying! Yes, the winner is still around but Sammy, (The undone rooster) had a severe mite infestation and a nasty swollen shut eye however I separated him and treated as well and he did get better. He did get anemic and almost died from it. This was very shortly after he lost the territorial battle.it’s been several months since all this. He acts better, healthy, eats, drinks, but is a loner and NEVER CROWS anymore.
So he's perfectly healthy now? Does he talk at all, or just stopped crowing? After the fight, did you notice any neck/throat injuries? Did he spit up any blood?
It could be out of fear of the other rooster, depending...

Yes, he’s health and no talking or crowing at all
Hm. With the no crowing AND no talking, that very well mean he's lost his voice, not just his crow. Just because you didn't see any injuries, I'm wondering if there still was something. :(

Hm. With the no crowing AND no talking, that very well mean he's lost his voice, not just his crow. Just because you didn't see any injuries, I'm wondering if there still was something. :(
I have another rooster that crows onky after he has been with a hen that day. He doesnt always get to be with the hens, but when he does, hr criws like crazy in the nighttime. It's very possible he lost his girlfriends and until he gets a companion, he may crow less or not at all.

I had a silkie with a head injury that just passed away. Never noticed it until he died, but his skull was fractured and brain swollen. It was sad, but it explained why his behavior was so different from the others. I wormed him, gave medicine, but nothing ever worked.

How did you treat the mites? Mine also had mites, but i got rid of them, but he died shortly after. How big is your flock and are they free ranging birds?
I am so so so so sorry for you loss! Sorry for the late response. My father was recently diagnosed with leukemia and I’m caring for him.
I treated with pyrethins.. the gamut.. and some ivermectin at the base of their neck of ones with obvious signs, (I’ll send pics.) I ultimately redid all the coops and gutted them all put all coops on top of 1/4th” hardware cloth at bottoms of coops. This prevents them from festering on too of their own “crap” per say.

Sammy, the guy that had the WORST. Also had some kind of eye infection as well, probably and most likely from the mite infestation that also probably left him anemic and frail. I treated the eye with Erythromycin cream to the eye and secluded him in a separate cage until he got better. I than bathed him thoroughly after all, (he was pitifully GROSS) and rejoined him the flock. That’s when I noticed an inevitable change that I don’t believe will ever come back.

he’s now in the same coop as the rooster that he’ lost battle to but I do believe that wasn’t the “inevitable “ change as he is now better, walks eats and drinks now roams even. But he definitely does NOT pose a threat to the other rooster or any other chicken as he will ALWAYS FOLD or run and hide of another submits him.

Back
Top Bottom