My silkies are beating each other...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cat Water, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    Whenever my four silkies(look at signature) are awake, at least one of them flies at another and starts beating them with thier wings for about two seconds [​IMG]. Is this the "sparring" that I read about? Are they estabishing a pecking order, or do I have to separate them? Please help me! [​IMG]

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Mating ritual? Two males?

3. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    They are prob just establishing pecking order. If they really go at it and it gets worse then you will no there is a problem. Other wise I would say no worries.

4. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    Quote:They are only about two weeks old, so I doubt it is a mating ritual, and they are all doing it. Even the ones that I think are pullets are doing it. Like Jen said, I bet they are establishing a pecking order. Should I just let them do it? What should I do with the other six chicks that are coming in the mail tomorrow if they start fighting with them? Am I just paranoid?[​IMG]

5. mkwags

mkwags Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2009
    Davis County, Utah
    I would think that as long as chickens are not actually hurt, it is what they do. They are playing, and establishing their order. Let them be chickens.

6. gamechickens

gamechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    what size pen do yo have them in? maye they are to cramped.

7. Cat Water

Cat Water That Person

Jul 4, 2010
    Mid Coast Maine
    Quote:They are in a large circular pen outside. I would say it is about 6 feet in diameter. They have sort of worked it out, but they have added a few pecks to the eyes after the wing-flapping is over. They have been nice to my younger chicks, they only do it to each other. I'm thinking that three of the four silkies are cockerals, so that is most likely it. I guess I'll just see what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by