My silkies are beating each other...

Cat Water

That Person
9 Years
Jul 4, 2010
Mid Coast Maine
Whenever my four silkies(look at signature) are awake, at least one of them flies at another and starts beating them with thier wings for about two seconds
smack.gif
. Is this the "sparring" that I read about? Are they estabishing a pecking order, or do I have to separate them? Please help me!
hu.gif

They are prob just establishing pecking order. If they really go at it and it gets worse then you will no there is a problem. Other wise I would say no worries.

Quote:
They are only about two weeks old, so I doubt it is a mating ritual, and they are all doing it. Even the ones that I think are pullets are doing it. Like Jen said, I bet they are establishing a pecking order. Should I just let them do it? What should I do with the other six chicks that are coming in the mail tomorrow if they start fighting with them? Am I just paranoid?
hide.gif

I would think that as long as chickens are not actually hurt, it is what they do. They are playing, and establishing their order. Let them be chickens.

Quote:
They are in a large circular pen outside. I would say it is about 6 feet in diameter. They have sort of worked it out, but they have added a few pecks to the eyes after the wing-flapping is over. They have been nice to my younger chicks, they only do it to each other. I'm thinking that three of the four silkies are cockerals, so that is most likely it. I guess I'll just see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom