My silkies!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by kingdr85, Mar 11, 2011.

1. kingdr85

kingdr85 Songster

May 7, 2008
    Madison-Columbus WI
    I finally got to see my Silkies today!!!

A friend has been keeping them for me during the winter because my set up was not the greatest and they are GOURGEOUS!!!

Out of the 3 one turned out to be a roo and he is SOOOOO BEAUTIFUL. He is tiny but obviously is a roo and is already mating and constantly trying to mate with one of the females. These are the TINIEST silkies I've ever seen and already so "mature". My friend told me he has not crowed yet but he is definetly a boy so I am not sure how long I will be able to keep him. He is about 6 months and he is so small and handsome. Here are some pictures of them a couple of months ago. They are much more beautiful now! - I am counting down the days to bring them back home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. GardenGal

GardenGal Songster

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Ohh, so cute!! I would love to have silkie bantams but I've read they tend to be broody and we can't have a rooster where we live. Do you think they're broodier than other breeds?

3. kingdr85

kingdr85 Songster

May 7, 2008
    Madison-Columbus WI
    I heard they are, but so worth it. This is my first time having silkies and no eggs yet (the oldest is about 8 months).

4. FeatheredFeline

FeatheredFeline Chirping

Mar 2, 2011
    Northwest Washington
    So cute! and so much cleaner then my two silkie boys! They refuse to keep they're fluff clean and insist on rolling in the mud. [​IMG]

5. kingdr85

kingdr85 Songster

May 7, 2008
    Madison-Columbus WI
    I've never seen my silkies taking a dust bath, so maybe that's why they stay pretty clean. These pictures are from a month or two ago, they look even better now. He is the most handsome silkie rooster I've ever seen.

6. FeatheredFeline

FeatheredFeline Chirping

Mar 2, 2011
    Northwest Washington
    Maybe the mud bathing is Washington chicken thing. Because I just can't keep my two roos clean, mud a pebbles! Bahh!

7. kingdr85

kingdr85 Songster

May 7, 2008
    Madison-Columbus WI
    My silkies might be too fancy for dust baths [​IMG] - the other hens I had (not silkies) sure loved to get in the dirt. I am planning on having sand in my run so they wont be able to make too much of a mess if they ever discover dust bathing.

8. FeatheredFeline

FeatheredFeline Chirping

Mar 2, 2011
    Northwest Washington
    Just maybe, mine are farm boys and not as civilized as they should be. But as it warms up I'll whip them into shape. Likely with a bath or two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: