1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My sitting hen has scabs on her comb HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Beaky Buzzard, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Beaky Buzzard

Beaky Buzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

Carmel, my 3 year old hen has scabs that look like scrapes on her comb. She has been sitting on eggs for about 17 days. She is not ill otherwise.Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!![​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Could she be getting attacked by another flock member?

3. Beaky Buzzard

Beaky Buzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

No. She has always got along fine with the other chickens:)

4. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    How long have they been there? Could they be the result of breeding? Roos will grab a reluctant hen by the comb sometimes.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Could you post some photos for us to take a look?

6. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    It could be fowl pox, which is transmitted by mosquitoes. Its usually not serious. Do you have a pic? that would help out alot! [​IMG]

7. New2TheCoop

New2TheCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Central, LA
    I am freaking out, I'm having the same problem... Here are some pics of mine

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. SarahBowles

SarahBowles New Egg

Feb 10, 2012
    Hi I have the same problem with one of my hens. Only her scabs are all over her face if you find out what it is can you please let me know. She has been with the rooster and other hens since they were born so they all get on great. Please help

9. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Looks like fowl pox. Should go away by itself in a few weeks. Watch for 'wet' pox, where it gets into throat, but if it's just the dry external type it will just go away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by