My SO built me a coop for the girls...

How do I do that? I'm kind of new here.

The pics probably aren't that interesting but I'd like to know for later today.

I loaded them to the gallery. Is this better?

LM

LM

Yeah, that should work for everyone.
Looks like you have some major protection on both the sides and the top. Congratulations on that. Some points to consider:

Make sure the seams between your vertical walls and roof are tightly secured so that nothing can pry its way thru there.

Chain link fencing is very tough but many, many people have suffered losses from raccoons reaching through and grabbing chickens. Things go badly for a chicken that gets grabbed this way.

I don't know what's along the ground level along your outer fence. There are various predators that will dig underneath to gain entrance.

To solve these last two issues what I did was take a 3' wide strip of hardware cloth and bury it 1' deep along the entire fence line. The remaining 2' above ground I secured to the existing fence. This should prevent both digging under issues and reach-through's.

LM

LM
Looks like they're happy on the roost. But location could place them in drafts. Would suggest adding a shutter or tarp over window for winter or storms. A simple plywood hinged at top with chain and eye hooks for adjustment is the least costly. If you still have the part you cut out, use it..that's what I did and it has been handy.

Can't tell if the window has wire, but I would add hardware cloth there as well.

Do you lock them in the coop at nite or are they free to come out to run. Personally I would not trust just chain link fence even with hardware cloth up 2 feet…But I am always the worried Mother Hen.

Thanks for posting the photos.

The coop's windows are open at the moment. It's still pretty hot here so we left them open. They are on hinges so I can close them when I need to.

I don't have anything buried but the floor and ceiling are completely covered with field fence wired to the cages.

The pen isn't fancy - just two 10x10 connected dog pens. Besides the field fence ceiling, the roof in the pen with the coop is covered with clear roofing material.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll get better pics later today.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom