My Solutions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Big Bubba, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Big Bubba

Big Bubba Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    So, through the years it seems to be one thing or another.

For the last 3 years I decided to free range my girls. Never had a problem until recently where I had 2 girls killed by a hawk. I decided I had to put the girls inside which is basically a run and a coop. Well, they didn't care for that very much. Their unhappiness and my guilt led me to create a chunnel system for them. Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

Basically I used this caging from HomeDepot and cut them all the same size. So far I've only used half of it. The joy of it is I can reroute so they don't wear out the same strip. Next week they'll be going through the garden to get it ready for spring. I don't put any hardware underneath because outside of hawks there really isn't a predator that can get to them during the day. The whole thing cost me about $50.

The other thing was I had to get the feed out of the coop. Birds and squirrels get to it and they're messy eaters. The setup in the pic below isn't complete. I intend to enclose it so food won't get wet.

[​IMG]

Squirrels and birds can still get into it so I put a screen floor on it to catch the scraps. That way I can keep it clean and not have to worry about rodents. FYI, I've used a treadle but my girls have proven incapable of figuring it out. Anyhow, here's the pic of the screen floor:

[​IMG]

Ignore the feed scattered there. That was the work of birds and squirrels while I was putting this contraption together.

1 person likes this.
  2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Nicely done. I have explored the idea of chunnels, as a means to allow my hens access to new and places.

Thanks for sharing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by