My son had a question.

countrygirl4513

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 14, 2007
Portland TN
His question to me was...does a hen decide to lay an egg or is it instinct?
My answer was...instinct. However... everyone talks about a hen going broody...I know that this is concerning setting eggs to hatch, but isn't there a sorta a broodiness they go into when they start laying in general? The Brahma that just laid the first 2 eggs (she's 20 wks old) acts different than the rest of the hens. She's more growly and stays more to herself. I mean I consider this sorta a broody state. Compare it to PMS with women, do ya know what I mean?

I would say a hen laying an egg is basically them becoming mature. Not really instinct or a decision. Each egg is an ovulation cycle so I say hormones. Women can't control their monthly cycle that much or choose when to start it.

My whole flock at the present time is Light Brahmas. They usually start to lay around 20 weeks old. The cockerals take longer to mature than some breeds, however by 18 weeks they will start to get frisky. The full cock feathers with all the plumage takes up to 2 years to fully develop. Then they become a beauiful speciman with a stately apperance.

bigzio

Back
Top Bottom