My Son is Not a Graduate!! He's a .....

pc crap. to "graduate" one must advance in some form or fashion.
to "complete" , well, i guess you just have to be there at the end...
lol.png

Oh, I forgot to congratulate you on your son's graduation (I don't care what *they* call it). Relay to him, from an old longhaired countryboy down in south Alabama,..."job well done!".

Though it's only been a few years (30+) since I graduated I remember walking across the stage and the principle handing me my diploma with one hand and shaking hands with the other hand. As I turned and started to walk on across the stage he grabbed me by the arm, pulled me back, and said "I just want to shake your hand one more time!"....I'm not too sure who was the happiest that I was graduating!
gig.gif

Best wishes to your son!
Ed

That doesn't make any sense to me either. Alabama requires students to take a four part exit exam in order to receive a diploma. The principal of our local high school announced that this particular exit exam was going to cause a "train wreck" as in some students would have great difficulty passing this exam. If a student doesn't pass all parts the student/graduate receives a certificate of completion. I know of several in my area that this actually happened to. These kids were A and A,B honor roll students and they couldn't pass this exam.

Our school districts have the terminology 'diploma' and 'certificate' also - a diploma means they've passed the exit exam and all the course work. Certificates are usually issued to kids who are in special ed and can't pass the exit exam due to handicap but have 'completed' 4 years of school. I think in my graduating class of about 250 there were only 2 certificates and those were to kids that were obviously mentally handicapped.

What a crock to call it 'completion' rather than graduation - even for those kids getting a certificate rather than a full diploma.

Congrats to your kid on his GRADUATION, Dave!

Quote:
I know, huh? The kid already has an internship offer - you'd think he'd rate conferrence of the title, "Graduate."
The tech training stuff will lead to a real job and real prestige, perhaps even to a college degree. In my esteem, that ranks as high on the "Graduate Scale" as anything else.

I do get the notion of two separate programs, now that it has been pointed out. What befuzzles me is academia's perceived need to invent yet another spurious title. "Completer...." sheeeesh!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way he is also graduating from high school in general, in addition to the tech center's "completer" business... well, Im going to a ceremony for THAT graduation... at least I think it's called a ceremony... it is for high school - at least I'm certain of that much... I think.

Last edited:
I dunno. We still call them graduates here and they attend a graduation ceremony.
idunno.gif

Is this the graduation from the school or the "completion ceremony" for the program only?? Some programs have separate "celebrations" and they are not allowed to call them graduation because they are not the main graduation ceremony from the school.

That is how it works for some of the high school programs around here. They needed to separate the two events. Also, we have the levels of "graduation" too. Ours get certificates if they finished but did not pass the final exit exam or still need to take another summer school or something to actually "graduate".

So let us know!! What is the scoop?

I have WHAT in my yard? :

Is this the graduation from the school or the "completion ceremony" for the program only?? Some programs have separate "celebrations" and they are not allowed to call them graduation because they are not the main graduation ceremony from the school.

That is how it works for some of the high school programs around here. They needed to separate the two events. Also, we have the levels of "graduation" too. Ours get certificates if they finished but did not pass the final exit exam or still need to take another summer school or something to actually "graduate".

So let us know!! What is the scoop?

Very good point.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom