My 'son' is out of control.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChelleEnchanted, May 15, 2008.

1. ChelleEnchanted

ChelleEnchanted Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    Ohio
    So, I was about to toss all of my eggs as you all know last week, but I surprisingly had a single chick hatch out on day 23.

I'm going insane. [​IMG]
    He's gotten to the point where he screams if i'm not near him. He only eats if i 'peck' the food with my fingers. He chases me around my room when he finds his way out of the brooder.

I have a feather duster in his brooder box, to imitate a hen. He liked it for a good 5 minutes. [​IMG]

The past two nights i've had to sleep with him tucked under my chin, i'm scared i'm going to roll over on him.

I've tried ignoring him, but he peeps so loud. If I don't let him sleep with me, I don't get to sleep at all.

[​IMG]
    Somebody fix this thing.

2. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Got a feed store or someone nearby with new chicks? If so you can get it some friends.

Otherwise, stuff some pillows under both sides so you don't roll.

Matt

3. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I think he's lonely! Can you get another chick to brood with him, maybe from a feed store, or from some local person? Poor little guy!

4. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Have you tried putting a mirror in the brooder with him. Sometimes that will make them think there's another chick there.

5. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I agree you need to get another chick ASAP! I am sure someone or a business close has one or more they can part with.

6. Shaun Hagan

Shaun Hagan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    Northern NH
    In the short term, try putting a mirror in the brooder with him.

7. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    I think it is just too cute! I agree he needs a friend, but......

I had a chick I hatched in embrology class in college. I brought her back to my dorm room. When I went to go to bed she peeped so loud! My roommate did not like this apparently and said to shut the thing up or she would! I took her out of the box and into bed with me. She got quiet so I put her back. More loud peeping. Finally I took her in bed with me and she slept every night for about 2 or3 weeks between my neck and my hair on my shoulder! I never rolled on her, hurt her, and she was happy sleeping with mama! I also never had a poop on me when I woke up! I loved that chicken and I had her a long time. Followed me everywhere! But I liked it!

8. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Where in Ohio are you ? I have a 3 1/2 week old banty runt that i can borrow you or some regular 31/2 week old bantys or you can have a free same aged golden laced polish (prob. a roo)which is on the low end of the pecking order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by