my son is wanting to be a vegetarian!?

Quote:
Tell your Son what my Father told me:

"When your Mother puts food on the table, YOU eat it."

That seemed to work fairly well at the house I grew up in.

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

Yep.... my kids eat what i have on the table..or they eat peanut butter and jelly...

But i'm a meanie.. where i'm sure the OP isnt...
tongue.png

Last edited:
My son is 18. He has been a vegetarian for a few years now. He did a lot of research and is very knowledgeable about it. He is perfectly healthy. He even made it through basic training on a vegetarian diet.

As long as you make sure your diet is balanced you will be fine.

I teach high school students and making him research the dietary needs is a great idea. Some of my students got on a vegetarian kick and some even went vegan but their idea was to just not eat meat. They had no idea of the need to supplement protein. One was just eating fries and pasta.
sharon

I love the idea of having him research. Also, perhaps, he can accompany you to the grocery store to chose what he wants. Then, have him prepare the parts of the meal that would be different from what the rest of the family is eating. That way, he doesn't add the burden of someone making something special for him while the rest of his family eats something else.

Quote:
Tell your Son what my Father told me:

"When your Mother puts food on the table, YOU eat it."

That seemed to work fairly well at the house I grew up in.

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

Yep.... my kids eat what i have on the table..or they eat peanut butter and jelly...

But i'm a meanie.. where i'm sure the OP isnt...
tongue.png

I don't offer the PB&J. Apparently I am meaner than you.
tongue2.gif

I went to a boarding High School (religious) where EVERYONE was a vegetarian for at least 6 weeks at time. (Guessing a few went home and had a burger on the way)

If you check out "blue zones" you will discover that many of those blue zones are due to the number of people that live in the area that are vegetarians.

Just make sure he understands that being a vegetarian means more than not eating meat and having cake and sweets.

If he wants to be a vegan, then you might want to do more checking since that will require more diligence about finding good proteins.

At 14 he is not done growing yet he needs animal protein of some sort and your doctor will tell him that. My boys work and play hard like sports and such and would wither away on a veggie diet. I would not let a 14 year old make that kind of decision on his own. Of course I was never allowed to ask what was for dinner it was considered disrespectful and absolutely did not ever say I did not like something.

I am not a veg, but I know a lot of veg's that tell me that at around that age meat just did not start tasting good to them and they had a hard time digesting it... some of my friends didn't choose it because a love of animals. They felt forced to eat the meat put on the table and felt sick after. I'm not saying this is your son, but at 14 you should be supportive, encourage and provide research, and try to provide other means of protein. If he doesn't mind some things, like dairy, eggs and make sure he has lot of beans and other things that can add up the protein intake a growing boy needs.

Back
Top Bottom