My Son

chicken_crazy93

Songster
9 Years
Oct 24, 2010
Mascot
Hello fellow BYC'ers. I'm soooo proud of my Son I had to post some pictures. My boy has grown to really lovin chickens. I'm divorced but get him every weekend, holidays & some of the summer break. I had to go up to his Mom's house yesterday evenin to fix my "not biological" daughters flat tire. I don't like the words "step-kids". Anyway, I went to my boy's school yesterday & had lunch with him & told him I would be over around 4:30 & we needed to fix his sisters tire. I turned on his road about 20 after 4 & what do I see? My Son sittin in a lawn chair right next to his sisters car with his boggan, gloves & coat on, lol. I get out of the truck, keep in mind I had a forklift fall on me back in '07 & I've been disabled ever since, I've been an ASE Mechanic my whole workin career, & he said "Don't worry Dad, I just ate a bowl of Wheaties so you won't have to do no liftin, you just sit here in this chair & I will do the work". I smiled real big at him & said Thank you so much Son. He said no problem, now sit down & show me where to put the jack! He was goin to use the jack that came with her car but I brought my little floor jack & electric impact. I told him if he'd run the extenion cord for the impact I would put the jack under the car for him. He said Ok but be really carefull, Ok, I will I told him. He ran the cord & I slid the jack under & here he came a runnin, no Dad, I will jack it, you sit down. Ok Son, I was just puttin it where it needs to go & gettin it ready for ya. He got down on his knees & looked under the car at the jack. I said, whatcha doin? He said, seein where it goes so you won't have to do it next time & why is that block of wood under there. I said ok, Thank you "Bug", his nickname, & told him it was for safety to keep the car from fallin on us like the forklift did me. I brought a piece of pipe that fit over the small jack handle cause I figured he would want to jack it & I wanted to make it as easy as I could on him & asked him to jack it up a little.

After jackin it up a little I gave him the correct socket & electric impact. Wow, this is a little heavy he said. I said, would you like for me to take the lugs off? No Dad, I can get it. So I showed him which way was loosining & by golly he got them off. I stood up & asked him to please let me set the tire off the studs & to take a little break. He said, Awww Dad, I can do it. Yep Son, I know you can but Dad needs to do a little somethin. As soon as I got it off & away from the car he said, sit back down, I got it now so he rolled it to the back of the truck. We took a little break & I said Konner Bug, we are lookin for a nail or screw or a cut. Before I could get to my side of the tire to start lookin he said, Here it is Dad, it's a darn screw. I said good job son & good eye. I told him to let me get the air tank out of the truck, a pair of pliers & the plugin kit I brought with me. I asked if he wanted to air it up a little to make the screw easier to get out & he said sure. I told him to look at the gauge then subtract about 20 from it & thats when to stop puttin air in & we'd get the screw out. Do you know he figured it himself & did exactly as I had asked him!! I then gave him the pliers & told him to pinch the screw & turn it to loosen it. He turned it out & woooshhh, air started comin out. Dad, I can't stop it!! He was tryin to hold his hand over the small hole. I told him that was ok & now it was time to plug it. I gave him the reamer to roughen up the hole & then asked him to air the tire back up the same way he did before but leave the tool in the hole. While he was doin that I prepared the plug. I said Bug, when you pull the tool out I will stick the plug in. Ok Dad ready? Yep, 123 GO! He jerked the reamer out & I stuck the plug in. He said whew, we didn't lose much air at all. I know, good job buddy, now, do you want to take the plugger tool out? Sure, how? I showed him to turn it just a little & pull straight up. But Dad, that will pull the plug out. Nope, just trust me Son, you know what your doin so he turned it a little & sure enough, plug stayed in, tool came out. COOL he said.

I asked him to air the tire up to 35lbs., him reading the gauge & then hop in the truck, we needed a cold drink & we would check it for leaks when we get back. After gettin our drinks & him a bag of chips, we sat out in the truck takin a break. All at once he looked over at me & said, "Dad, we're Father & Son, we're Best Friends & we're a Team". Dad, yes Son, Can I charge my sister the first time? Naw Son, why don't ya tell her the first one is on the house. AWWW Dad, ok. Dad, yes Son, I love you, I Love You to Son.

Back to chickens & pictures, here is my WONDERFUL 7yr. old Son Konner Bug with his first egg
70399_my_boys_first_egg.jpg

And here he is feedin Big Red
70399_konner_big_red.jpg

Doin the Chicken Dance, lol
70399_chicken_dance_closeup.jpg

Gettin ready to catch his first chicken
70399_konner_flock.jpg

He is so cute. Don't tell him we said that though. My son is the same age and when I say it to him he turns red and ignores me for an hour.

That is great how he wanted to help and protect you. Very very sweet boy.

Wow... I am all warm and fuzzy... what a great read!!!! Thanks for sharing that feel good story... you are a GREAT dad!!!!

Well Thank you! I try my best to teach my Son the same morals & values my parents taught me. He has NEVER had a whippin, I work with his mind instead, I have found it lasts alot longer than any kind of spankin. I am involved in every aspect of his life, never force him to do anything. He doesn't like sports at all. My 13 yr. old daughter has played softball since she was old enough to run & when Konner wouldn't play football she said "Well Konner, you got to do something", LOL. At first I thought he liked Hot Rods, muddin, 4-wheelin, messin with chickens etc... cause I do but I have learned that he really loves the same things I do. He always talks about our birthdays bein so close, his is the 19th & mine is the 20th. Kids are sure a Blessing.

Back
Top Bottom