My soon to be camper coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sheila3935, Feb 22, 2012.

1. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    A friend of ours gave us a camper. It is 24x8. I am going to convert it into a chicken coop. It needs work. One part of the roof has a leak and I have to gut it out, but by summer I hope to have it finished. It has a working air conditioner/heater on the roof so if it gets too hot we can use it some. I am going to park in under the big tree we have in the chicken yardI want to replace the flooring as right now it has carpet. That wont work [​IMG] I am thinking of putting harware cloth down before adding the new flooring to keep out any mice. Anyone have any suggestions for that? Here it is[​IMG]

2. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

Thats going to be one nice chicken Mansion [​IMG]

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG]What a project I will be watching for your progress.

Yes the hardware cloth on the floor will keep all critters out. You could for sure nail it down and float a linolium floor over the top of that. However, mice get in anywhere not just floors holes. The roof on one of those units is hard to find the leak and you may want to just put a rubberized paint over the entire roof. Best of luck to you.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  4. sheila3935

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    We have at our local hardware store a thing called elasticote which is for mobile homes that you paint on. I was thinking this for the sealant. I still have to get it here which is at my friends farm in another city about 35 miles away, but my son is going to haul it up here for us. Then comes the gutting out. I am also thinking of the overhead bed part opening it up and building onto that. Cant wait to get it here and start working on it. I will post pictures along the way. Hopefully by summer or at least mid summer I can have it done. My darling hubby built me one but he is carpentry challenged and it is not the strongest coop, so now with this they will have a better coop. Also I will be doing most of the remodel myself. I dont trust him to do it the way I want it. [​IMG] It has an overhead vent but I was wondering about additional ventilation. If you have ideas on that let me know I am open to all suggestions. I will be putting hardware cloth over all the windows and vents.

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    You are soooooooo lucky !!!

6. wekiva bird

wekiva bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    South Carolina
    It will make a great coop. We are doing ours now just put in 3 rafters , 2 sheets of plywood ,new rubber roof on half of it so far.

7. Daddas1Punkin

Daddas1Punkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Ca.
    WOW! [​IMG]

8. jerryb

jerryb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Southern Michigan
    hey, its already got a pop door!

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Awesome!

Sheila, once you get it done, I would love to come and see it!

10. sheila3935

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Robin I would love for you to come over. Hopefully by mid summer. My plans have been slowed as my Mom is not doing very well and us kids are taking turns going to her house to take care of her. She is 81 years old and very frail. So I am hoping between work and that I will have time to work on it at least one of my days off a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by