My Spitzauben Cockeral - PIC

Quote:
lau.gif
Those are mighty big wattles for a hen but the eggs kinda say something.

What size eggs do they lay compared to your other birds?

The eggs we hatched from OKCarla were medium.

Its funny. I have had chickens all my life, I used to show them as a kid in 4-H. But this is my first Spitzhauben. It was purchased as a hen. It crouches down like a hen when you reach for it, it does not Crow, it does lay eggs, and gets jumped by my roosters any chance they get.
In my book if it crows its a rooster, if it lays eggs its a hen.
Now, I look at all your photos, and mine does look like the roosters. With the v comb and the waddles, but it isn't. Maybe she is in drag!
lol.png
Or a real butch hen
wink.png
!
anyhow, she is my favorite, and her two chicks are very cute as well, although they are crosses. And I think she is very pretty.
Is there such a thing as a hermaphrodite chicken?
big_smile.png

She lays a medium to small egg. My other hens are more the large brown egg layers, so its pretty easy to tell.
And I got her from Ideal. I actually got two, but a coyote got the other one
sad.png

Last edited:
I got 5 Spitz babies from Cackle Hatchery. They only sold straight-run, and they are 6 weeks old yesterday. I have been watching for signs of which ones are roos. One of them is more curious and braver than the other 4, and he is showing signs of little wattles--actually just little red streaks, sort of, but the others don't seem to have them. Anyone know what are the first signs of what sex, and at what age you can tell? I am sure there is no way I would be lucky enough for them to be 4 pullets and one roo, is there?

Quote:
Wattles seem to be the first sign. Mine are 8 weeks (or so) and I still can't
tell what most are. My guy in the pic has wattles and crows, well squeaks.
The roos are definately larger than the hens but at 6 weeks it's still hard to tell.

Perfectly Polish's Spitzes came from the same hatch as my cockeral so you can see the difference
if you look at her pics.

Last edited:
I also got 5 Sptiz chicks from Cackle recently. They are 3 weeks old now. One has more black and is a little larger than the other 4. I wonder if it is a Roo?

I love the hair doo's. Reminds me of a "Beatle" haircut!!!!

Loved seeing these photos, I have Spitzhauben from okcarla in the incubator now
big_smile.png
and a few Brabanter, will candle them tonight or tomorrow to see which ones are developing, wish us luck!
Vicki in Michigan

Back
Top Bottom