My split black/lav Orps from the Hinkles!

DutchChic, your boy and girls will green up big time as they grow out. You will really see it in the next 2 months ahead...

the splits all look to becoming along nicely...your pic's look good..

Yes they are big !! ...are oldest split cockerel(bear) will be a bit larger than Lester which i beleave lester is around 10lbs..I also have a younger black male which is also getting nice to. The black hen orps help put more size on all the split off spring..which i think the size will be just fantastic and the off spring should all be nice in size as well from the splits.....

Some of Our girls could start to lay any day now, we could only hope....we cant wait to start hatching, Bators been down for almost a month and half..soon time to warm it up again..

we hope to share some of the eggs come spring time with folks who might have an interest in them at that time..

We have are final pair listed on eggbid and that will be it for the splits this year..

Thanks
Charlie

I hope to be doing a lot of hatching too. I can see being over run with split chicks, though....may have to offer some of them so I have room for the lav's. Since your birds are from different hatches, and older, I may want on that list for eggs...
big_smile.png
Especially if they are 50% split/ 50% lav.
Just keep chanting to those big fluffy butts that you want eggs!
yippiechickie.gif
Maybe do the chicken dance?
I had already spied the auction, but I think my quad will work just fine. I'll have to treat each egg like it's gold...lol.

Well I'll be happy take a drive when you get over-run with chicks to take some off your hands. I think I'm about a 3 1/2 hour drive from you. They'd fit right in with my BBS Orps!
smile.png

Dutchchic, yes i know what you mean by over run with splits, the only problem will be just plain blacks in the mix, which we will never know who they are till we grow them out and breed them back to a know lavender bird to know which is carrying the lavender gene and in which bird. Good news is there will be lavender chicks to plainly see..

In our hatches coming up we decided to keep only lavender colored chicks from all the hatches. The rest will be culls and sold locally for layers or what have you.

We will have 4 different breeding groups to select chicks from..

Dutchchic We will see that you get some of those eggs to if you would like some..

Yup, you gotta sell off the extra chicks some how or another and keep the space for the desired chicks only...

Shellie & Katy i know you will both get some to sooner or later.. they will be lots of fun to play around with..

Charlie

Last edited:
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing...only keep the lav ones, if I get enough of them. And of course, my original quad are known splits. That's why I'm hoping the odds are in my favor for high percentages of lavs.
Yes, I will want some of those eggs!
big_smile.png

Yup thats what i would do, just collect for about 7 to 10 days and set..that way you get as many chicks as possible for the same age.

Then start all over and keep culling if you are going for straight lavender chicks, some of the blacks may be showable.
as they appear to have really good black qualities regardless if they are carrying the lavender gene, as no one would ever know its there..

Eggs should be ready by spring..However depends on what we keep, i wont know as to what they will be at this point, some could Possibly be Lavender to Lavender, which we should have a full grown and laying lavender flock by may and june(planning on a flock of about 25 to 30 all lavender birds).., or for sure Lavender to split/black..or from split to split..As for now, prices are unknown or decided at this point..

Charlie

Last edited:
LOL...how do you put a price on something so rare? I think I will absolutely FAINT when I see the very first lavender chick hatch! It will probably be spoiled rotten, too. I am setting up for staggered hatches, so I will hopefully have a batch hatching each week....can we say "assembly line?"..
big_smile.png
Jeesh...what am I going to incubate my Dutch eggs in?! I NEED A CABINET INCUBATOR!!!!!

I think I will absolutely FAINT when I see the very first lavender chick hatch!

>>>>>>>Cant wait to see it all unfold..........hehhehe
lau.gif

Dutchchic, thats a tough one there..May have to do a few eggbid runs and see what they will go for, try to get an idea anyway. Or open for sugg. on them..
the few split pairs we sold should be enough to get the ball rolling on the project ~self blue orps~. They went to about 5 states..However all of us that got them should be able to fill egg orders by spring and we ourselfs cant wait to get them out there..

we will also be working on the ~self blue Araucana(tufted and rumpless)~. which is about to start anyday now. we have 2 self blue males ready for the black hens, we are just coming off a worming so that fun should begin very soon.

Cabinet bators are awesome...However our problem is always brooder space when using cabinet bators,,you can hatch tons, but then end up running out of brooder space
gig.gif
..We always seem to be making extra brooder space up somewhere in the basment..Currenetly we have 5 big brooders empty(4'W X 8'L) and are ready to be filled with chicks..LOL...

Charlie​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom