My stinkin dog got in the coop again-what do I do????

One has to go. Save yourself some heartache, toss the dog. A jack russell will never get along with small livestock. Get you another dog, one being more of the livestock protective type. That way he serve as a pet and a guardian. Good Luck

Chicken wire is for keeping the chickens in, not strong enough for keeping predators out.
They should tell people when they buy it that it is not strong enough, it would save allot of heartache.

I doubt barbed wire would stop him.
Terriors like to dig, maybe he dug under?

My mother has a Jack. The chickens are in a run. It's not the most secure run, but the Jack isn't concerned with the chickens when they're in the run. When they're out of the run, the dog is inside. She's the most obsessive/compulsive dog I've ever seen, but she hasn't shown any interest in the chickens when they're locked up.

HOT WIRE...2 strands, the first about 5" off the ground.

Chicken wire is USELESS against keeping predators out, only keeps chickens in so the predators can kill them easier. Use 1/2" welded wire or hardware cloth! then run the hot wire outside.

Keep your dog on a tie out or in a pen!! Not fair to the chickens to be tormented by it.

I just found a great new home for my GP that attacked my chickens... better for her, for me and for the chickies.

Hardware cloth is the way to go. If money is tight and you can't do the whole run with it right now just do the bottom section and string the hot wire until you can finish up. Totally agree that hot wire is a better way to go than invisible fence. You get way more bang for your buck because it will help with the coyotes, raccoons, and other predators. Good luck, it's harder when it's your dog that is the problem.

You are so right! They should tell you that chicken wire isn't strong enough-I have one roll of hardware cloth now, I will have to get more. Thanks for the info...

Quote:
I know, and the roll I bought showed a chicken run fenced with the stuff
he.gif
On another note did I read it right that you have the wire coming into the run to help keep diggers out? If I did you'll probably want to fix that too. Most diggers will keep on going until the get in if there is an obstacle above them. You want to apron the wire to the outside of the coop for 2' or so. Most of the critters can't figure out that they have to move away from the edge of the fence and will give up on it when they run into the wire. When it's on the inside they'll either push it up or keep digging until they clear it. Good luck with your coop and your dog. Chickens, they're not just a lifestyle they're a money sucking adventure.
wee.gif

hardware cloth might not be enough to stop a terrier. Their bite strength is greater than that. We designed our pen with 1"x2" welded wire fencing with corrugated roofing on the bottom 2' of the pen. The wire because we were told that anything less wouldn't keep dogs or raccoons out. Our pen is currently moot since our chickens free range all day and are locked in the chicken house at night, but if we ever need it it will be secure. Even if we do get to the point where the chickens are locked in the pen, at night they will be secured in the chicken house because raccoons will pull a bird right through the wire, part by part, if they can get a hold of it.

Our current dog is a good one and is scared of the chickens, but we are about to get a new puppy and a new 10'x10' wire kennel. The new puppy is an English Pointer, a bird dog. We hunt so we want a good bird dog but we know that we can never let Finn (the pup) mix with our chickens without being closely supervised and on a leash.

To not fence one or the other securely would be a quick way to lose the chickens. We like our chickens to forage so the dog will be fenced. A dog is safer when it is contained anyways, you never have to worry about the road or what the dog might do to someone else's yard or neighbors.

If you look around the internet for wholesale pet supplies you can find invisible fences at reasonable prices. If there is just a small area where he can attack the coop, you can get a scat mat. It will give a small shock when he steps on it. I saw one used by Cesar Milan to keep a dog from jumping the backyard fence in a particular spot. There is one supplier called something and Foster. Anyway, Foster is in the name. That is a good place to start.

Back
Top Bottom