My story.......I just need to get it off my chest (long, sorry)

porteryork

Songster
11 Years
May 9, 2008
Clarkesville, GA
Okay, so let me start by saying that my cousin who owns the apartments next door to me is evil and yes, I am being a little vengeful. With that disclaimer, here is the story.....

I have 3 acres in my little town that have been in my family for 6 generations. I put in some awesome organic gardens and wanted chickens for reasons that I don't need to tell you.

I asked City hall and was told there were no chicken ordinances, so off I went. There is this perfect place in my yard, next to the compost and the water pump. A low hanging branch, good sunlight and good shade made it perfect. A cutout in the property line made it easy to tuck away. So our chicken taj mahal was built with a large run since too many predators make it too risky for free range.

Okay, okay so I built it only 6 inches off the property line. So it turns out it should have been 150 feet. 150 feet, good grief! Most people cant do this since their lots aren't any where near large enough. Obviously, the intent is to keep people from having critters.....

So I notice the ordinance reads "livestock" and talks about non commerical. So I do a little research and lo and behold, poultry is not included in the livestock definition in Black's law dictionary. Also, I use the eggs in my restaurant and we use the poo in the garden and we sell and/or use the produce in the restaurant as well as our market.

So off I go to the city attorney and he agrees that he should look into this. Meanwhile, the new city manager, who is friends with my evil cousin, sends the police over with a code violation ticket.

In court, the judge agreed to continue my case pending the legal question BUT, I have to move the chickens by Monday and the coop has to be moved by February when my case comes back up.

Auuuggghhhh! So in this icky cold (well for us) I have to move my girls.....Roger the roo goes to his new home in Tn on Monday anyway. Fortunately, a good friend has agreed to chicken sit until we can get the coop moved, which is no easy feat since my builder is good and we build to last. (oh yea.......no funds either)

Okay, thanks for letting me vent. It wouldn't gripe me so much if my cousing would get ticketed for her voluminous violations on the mini crime zone she has put in next too me. She lives in the next town so she doesn't have to put up with her tenants like I do...........

Ahhh, better now, Michelle

That was a mean-spirited ticket. I think you'll be all right though, so long as you get the coop moved. We have a 150' ordinance here too, even for agricultural land. I think it's to regulate the smell of manure and to guarantee safe disposal, away from neighbors. Have you thought about keeping the coop as a utiliy building, since it is well-constructed and rebuilding for the birds? Oh wait, you'd have to have a permit (never mind). Too much government.

I wish you well, it's a shame all this has to be orchestrated at this time of year. You seem determined though, and you'll end up with the most compliant coop n your district!
cool.png

Last edited:
Thanks Lynn. I have thought about just a utility building. I have a guy coming tomorrow to look over things and the girls are moving into their temporary home a former guard dog pen...........

Oh well, tomorrow, Scarlett, is another day!

Sorry to hear about your problems, but you're not clear... "Meanwhile, the new city manager, who is friends with my evil cousin, sends the police over with a code violation ticket. " What does your cousin have to do with any of this? Just because they are friends with someone they are automatically involved? If you want them ticketed for their violations, then have it done. What's the problem there?

Back
Top Bottom