My summer project

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Oscgrr, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Oscgrr

Oscgrr Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2010
    Cape Cod
    My sons (14 and 4) and I built this, mostly out of scraps, over the summer. We had so much fun, we're going to build another one next year.

We still have some finishing touches to put on it but for the most part, here it is:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Great job Oscgrr! [​IMG] I love the chicken watching bench!

3. Oscgrr

Oscgrr Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Thanks. Unfortunately I had to take the bench out. It was great in the beginning, I would sit and watch them and I would always be surprized at how fast the time would go but the poop got out of control. I couldn't keep it clean and since it didn't get rained on it got very nasty vey fast. I'm going to build a bench with a hinged seat that I can flip it up so they can't mess it up.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  4. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Very Nice & what a fun project for ur family. Great idea for the hinged bench. [​IMG]

5. whillo

whillo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2009
    Willamette Valley
    That was the first thing I noticed because I was always trying to figure out how I was going to get a chair in the coop. I wondered how you could possibly keep it clean! I ended up painting a little stool red to match the ramp and inside of the coop and keep it just outside the pen door. It's worked perfectly to spend some time watching chicken antics.

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

What a great family summer project!!! [​IMG] You guys did a fantastic job! (and I keep a little fold up chair in my coop...folds so flat they can't perch on it)...

7. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    [​IMG] well done!

8. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    OK I am officially jealous.

9. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    That is really nice!

10. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Very nice job! When I saw the bench, I knew it wouldn't last [​IMG], but they are fun to watch! It is good therapy for me to sit outside and watch my horses and my chickens, sooo relaxing! Unfortunately, I work 12 hour shifts and by the time I get home it is already just about dark (and will be very dark soon), so I can't sit and watch them after work. I do get up and drink my coffee with them, it is a great way to start the day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by