My sweet Leghorn attacked badly

Well, we know it was a Dane that had it in its mouth, which sounds like a cut and dry situation, but it's not, we have video surveillance and there were more dogs in this situation. But our biggest problem has been with a problem lab mix, and our neighbors have been dealing with a Sheba/husky mix, any dog can be a problem for chickens. My neighbors tiny little terrier tried to kill my chicken right in front of us! He weighs less than some of the chickens he had pinned! Luckily, we were there! We have about 4 acres, and we're working on the money, and best fence for our needs, while at the same time, but putting something up that our neighbors, who've loved here much longer than us, don't mind. We think we've got an idea, and we're going to clear it with them first, but we really want to get a Maremma or a more laid back LGD, just because I'm scared that I won't train them properly, and that wouldn't be the dogs, or the chickens fault, I would hate for them to pay for my mistakes! I've already spoken to a wonderful breeder of Maremma's, who had been very honest and helpful to send me to the proper resources to train that breed. Just praying. I know a dog is a dog, even in this case of it was all the Great Dane, this was a one time (prayerfully) event. He comes in our yard every now & then, & happily goes home when told. I was just sad when I wrote that, and I also know of at least two people who let their many large dogs, who attack, roam free, which is dangerous for the dog too! Sorry this is so long, I guess I'm using this thread right now as counseling. Again, thank you everyone. I'm so grateful my neighbor at least have us a day with our chicken, where she seemed suprisingly comfortable & know she was loved. (I know they hide pain) But she was calm, and got love and attention, smtg my chickens are all used to and love.

A responsible dog owner will not allow their dog to roam. It's very disrespectful to the neighbors and very dangerous for other animals and the roaming dog. I have 7 dogs, they are not even allowed off leash in my front yard. Most of the time I can't even bring them in front because the neighbor down the road lets his doberman roam. Now this particular dog is rock solid, really doesn't bother anyone, but my own dogs would not be happy with him coming on to the property. It kind of stinks that I can't bring my dogs out there, even for walks, but I'm not breaking up a fight between a german shepherd and doberman.

A responsible dog owner will not allow their dog to roam. It's very disrespectful to the neighbors and very dangerous for other animals and the roaming dog. I have 7 dogs, they are not even allowed off leash in my front yard. Most of the time I can't even bring them in front because the neighbor down the road lets his doberman roam. Now this particular dog is rock solid, really doesn't bother anyone, but my own dogs would not be happy with him coming on to the property. It kind of stinks that I can't bring my dogs out there, even for walks, but I'm not breaking up a fight between a german shepherd and doberman.
I COMPLETELY AGREE!!!! It's not only terrible for those of us with chickens, but it's unfair to the dogs themselves! The one dog who killed 6 of my chickens, & I was able to chase down & pull one from his mouth, was a dog I personally saved numerous times from getting hit by cars. The last time I pulled him from the street (him & his fellow dog friend) a car stopped & the driver had me in tears b/c they said they had almost hit the dog & I better keep them out of the street! It wasn't until they realized I was telling the truth & newly moved in did they sincerely apologise, but these dogs were out wreaking havoc in the street, in people's ponds, in people's gardens etc. The owners were THERE when I pulled my chicken out of its mouth, & yet denied being at fault.
A sad update on my sweet girl, she was taken care of & nursed in our kitchen for about two days, & she passed away. It was just too much for her . It's so sad to have to count one less bird out there. I am thankful she was home and loved before she passed. She was a sweetie :hit

I COMPLETELY AGREE!!!! It's not only terrible for those of us with chickens, but it's unfair to the dogs themselves! The one dog who killed 6 of my chickens, & I was able to chase down & pull one from his mouth, was a dog I personally saved numerous times from getting hit by cars. The last time I pulled him from the street (him & his fellow dog friend) a car stopped & the driver had me in tears b/c they said they had almost hit the dog & I better keep them out of the street! It wasn't until they realized I was telling the truth & newly moved in did they sincerely apologise, but these dogs were out wreaking havoc in the street, in people's ponds, in people's gardens etc. The owners were THERE when I pulled my chicken out of its mouth, & yet denied being at fault.
A sad update on my sweet girl, she was taken care of & nursed in our kitchen for about two days, & she passed away. It was just too much for her . It's so sad to have to count one less bird out there. I am thankful she was home and loved before she passed. She was a sweetie :hit

What type of lgd u thinking? How many dogs have you had before?

Back
Top Bottom