My Tom Turkey was attacked by neighbors dog. Pleas help!

zwiggles

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 29, 2014
Hi,
My Bourbon Red Tom was attacked by my neighbors dog on Sunday afternoon. He has a large bite wound on his back which is about the size of a fist, and is very deep. He also has a few other small wounds, but the back wound is my major concern. We purchased Blue Kote, and have been applying that, but the last two days he has taken a turn for the worse. He roosted with all the other birds the first night, but Monday morning I separated him, and he also rossted by himself that night and was eating and drinking.

The last two nights he hasn't roosted, and haven't seen him eating or drinking. He is now lethargic, and his nostril vents appear to be blocked and his breathing is labored. This morning he has not gotten up to even leave the coop. I bought some vitamins to put in his water, and he has access to fresh greens and clean water. The wound does not look infected, but should I be concerned about an infection? I was hopeful the Blue Kote would work, but I am thinking now I should at least try to do anything else to help.

I have no idea what else I should do. I realize that unfortunately ending his misery is now on the table, but I really want him to make it. We have two hens and were hopeful for poult's in the spring, but right now I am just concerned about doing whats right for the bird. Any advice/ help would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance.

Cleaned the wound with ointment and applied bag balm for the first night. I have applied blue coat twice in the three days since. The blue kote has antibiotics built into it.

Cleaned the wound with ointment and applied bag balm for the first night. I have applied blue coat twice in the three days since. The blue kote has antibiotics built into it.

Okay... Wounds should be cleaned and flushed with sterile water and something like chlorhexadine. It's also a good idea to pluck all the feathers back about 1/2" from the edges of the wound. Once the wound has be cleaned like this, then you can apply medication. Cleaning the wond with ointment and bag balm could have started an infection. If he were mine, I would go get some Novalsan and penicillin, re-clean it and give him an injection. If you have any oral amoxicillin, keflex or Augmentin, that would be even better than penicillin I think.

-Kathy

The vet is an option, but I do not feel it is worth the consult considering how little knowledge the vets I have dealt with in the past with Poultry. I spoke with my friends wife who is a Vet, and she felt the same way regarding most vets lack of knowledge in my area.

I do not have any antibiotics other than the Blue Kote, and I will see what I can find at our Feed store this evening.

Would it really benefit the bird to open the wound back up and try to flush? If so I may try it tonight.

The vet is an option, but I do not feel it is worth the consult considering how little knowledge the vets I have dealt with in the past with Poultry. I spoke with my friends wife who is a Vet, and she felt the same way regarding most vets lack of knowledge in my area.

I do not have any antibiotics other than the Blue Kote, and I will see what I can find at our Feed store this evening.

Would it really benefit the bird to open the wound back up and try to flush? If so I may try it tonight.

Wound care, whether it's dog, cat or horse, is basically the same. Wound marigins are made... With mammals the area around the wound are shaved, with birds the feathers are plucked. Non-viable flaps of are removed and then the actual wound is flushed with sterile water or saline and something like chlorhexadine.

Call you vet friend back and ask for more specific instructions if you cannot get you tom into a vet. Wound care is wound care, trust me, *any* vet can do it. Heck, any vet tech can do it.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom