My Tom was trying to mate with one of my hens

Mrskrieg77357

Chirping
Jul 21, 2020
I came home to this…. I thought he was trying to kill her. I called my husband and he said he trying to mount her. This particular hen roosts with the male and female turkey on the cows gate while the rest of my hens roost in the coupe. I couldn’t get the turkey off her I had to get my sheep dog to get Thomas off… is this dangerous to my hen?? I feel like my Tom is way too heavy to be on top of her. Plus it’s impossible for them to mate right ??

Attachments

• 6024174C-EF72-48D6-961D-18CB38C2C988.jpeg
    6024174C-EF72-48D6-961D-18CB38C2C988.jpeg
    724 KB · Views: 54
I came home to this…. I thought he was trying to kill her. I called my husband and he said he trying to mount her. This particular hen roosts with the male and female turkey on the cows gate while the rest of my hens roost in the coupe. I couldn’t get the turkey off her I had to get my sheep dog to get Thomas off… is this dangerous to my hen?? I feel like my Tom is way too heavy to be on top of her. Plus it’s impossible for them to mate right ??
I don't think that's good, I believe the turkey could break her bones. @JustBabyMargo has turkeys, maybe she can help?

TWE is correct, this situation is very dangerous for the hen as she will get internal damage and die. I have lost a couple hens this way; usually because the hen is ill and does not run away. You need to separate them ASAP.
Uh oh! They both free range but I can always lock up my hens.

I don't think that's good, I believe the turkey could break her bones. @JustBabyMargo has turkeys, maybe she can help?
Yeah my Tom might have to go to freezer camp. The Hen has been acting like nothing is wrong at all so thankfully I don’t think he caused any damage this time but this is the only time I’ve seen him do this. Is it mating season for turkeys? I just don’t know why he’s doing it to the hen and not his female turkey

Back
Top Bottom