My TSC "Red Pullet" has ENORMOUS feet and legs

Yes, the production reds DO tend to have thick legs and big feet. They also tend to grow very fast and mature early. The big tell for a sexing mistake would be a comb already going red at this young an age. Females will get red combs too but shouldn't be darker than a pink shade at 7 weeks while a male will be showing significant change in the comb size, getting redder by the day, and growing wattles.

I work at TSC and my shift is today. I'll ask my manager what the usual breeds of chicks they get in on their "Chick Days" and reply after I get off. I'll also grab some of the info sheets we have and be able to tell you what they say, if that's ok with you.

Kristie

BTW, you want to see some butch legs?! Check out this gal:

She's an easter egger with trunks. Only about 3 weeks in this photo and her legs were as thick as my thumbs. Lays lots of big eggs the same shade as a robin's so yes, I'm sure that's a female.

Or this one:

Spur buds on a pullet! She's a grown Welsummer hen now with sharp, roosterly spurs -- about 1.25" in length. Nothing else butch about her, that's just how she is. She also regularly stepped on her own toes and stumbled as a chick because her feet were too big for her body.

Last edited:
Couple of things you can watch for that may help in the next few weeks to identify the sex...
if its little comb starts turning pink, it's probably male. Pullets' combs stay pale white or yellow until just before they start to lay (5 months & older). Also, in many breeds, the females feather out faster than the males; I hatched out Rhode Island Reds once, and it took FOREVER for the little guys to get rid of all there chick fluff and completely feather out! My go to sign is the comb color. Good Luck and congrats on your chicks! :)  
does the pink comb apply to chicks in general? I have BLRW that are about 3 weeks old

If she matched all the other chicks in the "red pullets" tub I would guess she is just growing fast. Those are usually sex linked chicks so getting a male is doubtful unless you did indeed get a broiler somehow. I have gotten lots of red pullets from TSC and have always LOVED them!! They are my favorite birds. I have three 1 year olds right now and I'm seriously considering getting some more before they are gone this year. I hatched out some of their eggs a couple weeks ago and got 4 chicks. I hope they have their mommas great temperaments. Their dad is a Dominique and I got him when he was nearly grown and is a bit flighty. My chicks I hatched from my hens are growing really fast. I bought a couple mixed pullets a few days after mine hatched and mine are 2/3 the size of the ones I bought ever though they should only be 2-3 days older. It may just be the genes.

Katie

Quote:
They are usually pink until their bodies are getting ready to lay then they turn red. Though there will be some who turn redder a little sooner. The males comb will definitely begin to grow before the females.
These were from a project I was doing on breeding second generation Red Sex-Links. These were 6 to 8 weeks old.

does the pink comb apply to chicks in general? I have BLRW that are about 3 weeks old

From my experience raising different breeds of chicks, the pink to red tinge has helped me the most in early detecting. Since your BLRW have rose combs, you wouldn't be able to see much of a size difference at first (like with a single comb), so the color change might help you more.

Honestly, I'd go by a whole picture rather than one feature. There is a subtlety to early detection and often, newbies are completely surprised by the first crow. For example, this is pullet pink:

And this is cockerel red:

Same age. The color difference isn't so obvious at 8 weeks, right? But the comb growth sure is. Now, back at three weeks, his comb was already this color and hers was still yellow. Much more obvious color difference then.

Honestly, I'd go by a whole picture rather than one feature. There is a subtlety to early detection and often, newbies are completely surprised by the first crow. For example, this is pullet pink:

And this is cockerel red:

Same age. The color difference isn't so obvious at 8 weeks, right? But the comb growth sure is. Now, back at three weeks, his comb was already this color and hers was still yellow. Much more obvious color difference then.
Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom