My turkey poults are now in with my chickens. What should i feed.

Caesarthegreat

Songster
Aug 13, 2020
United Kingdom
Hi there, my turkeys, a pair of 8 week old wrolstad bronze hens, have now moved in with my chickens. The turkeys are on a grower feed and the chickens on a layer. I am worried about the chickens getting too little calcium and the turkeys getting too high. Should i feed all the birds the grower, or can i mix some layer in with the grower? No one is getting oyster shell atm just flint grit. Many thanks.

Hi there, my turkeys, a pair of 8 week old wrolstad bronze hens, have now moved in with my chickens. The turkeys are on a grower feed and the chickens on a layer. I am worried about the chickens getting too little calcium and the turkeys getting too high. Should i feed all the birds the grower, or can i mix some layer in with the grower? No one is getting oyster shell atm just flint grit. Many thanks.
I would feed all of them an All Flock or Flock Raiser feed along with oyster shell free choice.
Is there anyway to prevent the turkeys from eating the oyster shell?
The turkeys will not eat the oyster shell as long as it is offered free choice and not mixed in with the feed.

Thank you for your help everyone! I will take the layer out, and just scatter some oyster shell around for the chickens.
Don't scatter the oyster shell around. Put it in a container that they have easy access to. Scattering it around like you would scratch makes it likely that it will be eaten by ones that do not need it.
One more thing, the chickens wont be receiving too much protein will they? 19%
All of my adult poultry are on a 20% protein All Flock feed whether they are chickens, guineas or turkeys. While chickens can get by on less protein than other poultry, they can actually tolerate much higher levels of protein than the turkeys can.

Back
Top Bottom