My turkey poults keep dying and I'm at a loss

All my other babies are doing great. 2/8 black Spanish left. I don't expect them to make it though. Not acting weird yet but I feel they will follow along with all the others. Unless these are from a different hatch maybe...but if they were all a group then I don't expect them to make it. The 18 chick's and other 8 turkeys are doing great though and cackle did refund us the cost of 5 turkeys...even though they should refund 7...because like I said. Something is wrong with them.

Hatched out 12 Bourbon reds almost two weeks ago, the last three that hatched did so on the day my 3rd Grandson made an early appearance so I wasn't here to make sure all was well, those three died within 48 hours... Mind you they were the last to hatch and somewhat weaker than the other 9... fast forward to today, I just removed one of two that had expired in the last 24 hours... I hatched out 4 chicks with these Poults and one of them was also dead... I had noticed yesterday that 3 of the 9 turkeys and 1 of the chicks seemed a bit more lethargic and much smaller than the rest.. I brought the remaining weak chick in and have tried to give it some save a chick but it wont have it.. The remaining 6 Poults are large and healthy looking.. I remember a few years ago when looking into buying turkey poults the feed store guy told us if we wanted 2 that we should buy 3-4 as they aren't as hardy as chicks. Trying to keep a close eye on them, I stand out there to make sure they are eating and drinking... The only thing that I can think of is a failure to thrive, but losing a chick makes me a bit more nervous, I have never lost a chick after this long. they are in a 5x5 box with a lid (chicken wire lid) and a red heat lamp, they are in and out of being under the lamp so I know its a comfortable temp... I clean out the box every other day and add fresh hay, decided not to do pine chips this time. The hay is fresh and dry, same stuff I feed to my rabbits and line nesting boxes. I haven't added any meds to the water, I never do... They are on turkey starter. There are no mice or rats.. Poop looks normal, no pasty butt..

Last year had 6 bourbon red and 1 broad breasted bronze and all that turkeys made it to adulthood. The 2 surviving black Spanish are still going and so far neither of them is getting the wobbles, but I feel like the only way they will make it is if they were from a different set of eggs. All other turkeys and chickens eating same food on same bedding with same everything are doing great. 8 other shipped turkeys, 5 shipped leg horns and 13 chick's I hatched Sunday and Monday. ..and everything is going well with them. It's just the black Spanish turkeys

These are my Royal Palm poults at around 3 weeks old. They have always been very nervous little birds despite my nurturing and tlc. and it doesnt take much to stress them out. The one in the right of the picture has always acted kind of depressed, always stayed back when I encouraged everyone to eat and drink from my hand, it would take a few crumbs and then wander off. It always just stands there with head hanging down and eyes closed.

This morning I picked it up for daily cuddles and am worried that I can feel a more prominent chest bone, basically it is skinny despite being the same size as the other 3.
Poop looks normal, they are on medicated turkey starter, today I added some electrolye plus to their water and encouraged the little one to drink drops of water from a syringe with some help from its siblings who showed it what to do.

I've raised poults from my own mixed flock and they all turned out strong and confident, I'm surprised at how delicate these little birds are but very concerned that one seems to be failing to thrive. :-(

Oh I've gone on a bit, sorry :-(

This is what keeps happening to mine. Standing around eyes closed, wings looking sort of droopy and within a couple of days, or sometimes a couple of hours they are dead. I've lost 10/16 this year. Had turkeys last year no problem..All survived Into adulthood. This year I can't keep them alive. I've given them corid when they first started this... given them electrolytes, given them eggs, given them yogurt...heck I even gave a couple amoxicillin... One of those managed to make it, for another week before flopping over. I go out in the mornings and every few days there's a dead poult. Their death rate has surely slowed, but not stopped. Where did your turkeys come from?

WE have royal palm chicks and are experiencing the same thing. They are 5 days old and in the past 2 days we have lost 3.
Fine, eating, drinking, running around and sleeping. white light, warm.
What hatchery did they come from? Ours came from Mcmurry. We have raised this breed before with out problems

mel

WE have royal palm chicks and are experiencing the same thing. They are 5 days old and in the past 2 days we have lost 3.
Fine, eating, drinking, running around and sleeping. white light, warm.
What hatchery did they come from? Ours came from Mcmurry. We have raised this breed before with out problems

mel

I had tons of issues last year, in the end lost all but three of the chicks, turns out what was left was one tom and two hens.. Fast forward, they will be a year old May 5th, healthy birds. I have collected and hatched eggs since they stated laying in February, to date have not (knock on wood) lost one chick!! I almost wonder if the hens I got the eggs from last year weren't healthy causing the chicks to struggle... who knows, I just know hatching from my own flock has made a huge difference!

Mine came from cackle hatchery. They all died except 2. So 13/15 dead... then a fox got the 2 that survived. Got 2 royal palms this year got them on the 8th, and to date they are still doing well.

Brooding my first turkeys now. Started with 10 newly hatched, broad breasted bronze on Wednesday. All were brave and active but did notice now again I'd see one fall on its back and not be able to get back up right. Can't tell if it was always the same bird or not. Woke up to one dead this morning and the after breakfast found one the verge. I've got it on my chest trying to warm and stimulate it now, but not seeing much 'try' from this bird. My vet and a friend who raises commercially both told me it is not uncommon for turkeys to 'just lay down and die' with no warning. Frustrating.....

Back
Top Bottom