My turn. Hen or roo?

any suggestions on breeders who have good sexing rates?

All hatcheries have a guaranteed rate on sexing. Other options include browsing your local Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace looking for adult hens or point of lay pullets.

Just no more than 2 roos with your 3 hens.

One for those three girls is plenty. Some bantam breeds can get away with closer ratios of sexes, but I would never have less than three females with a large fowl rooster. If you wanted to keep two of them, you'd need to increase the flock size to 14-16 hens for them not to see wear and tear. And if your Easter Egger cockerels are anything like mine they'll be breeding frequently...

All hatcheries have a guaranteed rate on sexing. Other options include browsing your local Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace looking for adult hens or point of lay pullets.

One for those three girls is plenty. Some bantam breeds can get away with closer ratios of sexes, but I would never have less than three females with a large fowl rooster. If you wanted to keep two of them, you'd need to increase the flock size to 14-16 hens for them not to see wear and tear. And if your Easter Egger cockerels are anything like mine they'll be breeding frequently...
yes, but i did say no more than 2, one is by far better

yes, but i did say no more than 2, one is by far better

Yes, and I said, "No more than one." Two males with a group of hens that small would do nothing but aggravate one another and stress the females out which can result in them not laying. On the other hand they could also breed the females so much that they remove their feathers and damage the pullet's bodies. Hens can die from overbreeding. Honestly depending on the male's sex drive, three females may not be enough. I can barely get away with that with my English Orpingtons and I much prefer having four or five hens in small breeding groups.

Yes, and I said, "No more than one." Two males with a group of hens that small would do nothing but aggravate one another and stress the females out which can result in them not laying. On the other hand they could also breed the females so much that they remove their feathers and damage the pullet's bodies. Hens can die from overbreeding. Honestly depending on the male's sex drive, three females may not be enough. I can barely get away with that with my English Orpingtons and I much prefer having four or five hens in small breeding groups.
Thank you, and yes I know such things can happen. turns out the OP can't even keep any roosters

Right. Thanks. We will likely remove all roosters and regrow with just hens. We were happy with our 1 rooster to hens initially. Looks like restructuring of the flock is in order. Im afraid of one rooster with 3 hens may be too much.

Right. Thanks. We will likely remove all roosters and regrow with just hens. We were happy with our 1 rooster to hens initially. Looks like restructuring of the flock is in order. Im afraid of one rooster with 3 hens may be too much.

I'd agree with you on that. If you raise a younger batch of pullets with a known cockerel up with the three original hens they may help keep him in line. He won't be so quick to snatch and grab when an older lady is staring him down. Once they are allowing him to breed the hormones have settled some and he will be a bit calmer. In my experience, cockerels raised with older birds that aren't allowed to start the grab and rape game, learn to woo their ladies like gentlemen.

Thanks every one. I am pretty sad.. but now I have to figure out the next steps. Are there rooster rehoming listings? Best hatcheries (hopefully we can avoid this in the future) and best egg laying breeds for small intown Atlanta backyard?

Best hatcheries (hopefully we can avoid this in the future) and best egg laying breeds for small intown Atlanta backyard?

Thanks every one. I am pretty sad.. but now I have to figure out the next steps. Are there rooster rehoming listings? Best hatcheries (hopefully we can avoid this in the future) and best egg laying breeds for small intown Atlanta backyard?
What hatchery did you get them from?
You can try Craigslist to rehome them but don't hold your breath.
Almost all hatchery hens are good egg producers.
Cacklehatchery.com and MurrayMcMurray are my top two hatcheries. Hoovers should be avoided.
The long pointy saddle (by the tail) feathers and hackles (on the neck) feathers are a dead giveaway for boy, also, if the comb is red before 12 weeks, boy!
20210202_110543.jpg

Back
Top Bottom