My two CornishX chickens attacked by the other chickens.

RedJasper

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 20, 2010
Mid to Upstate New York
My two CornishX chickens (which I do not plan on eating) have been attacked by the other chickens in their coop. The chicken (s) have ripped out all their feathers from just under the neck all the way to their tails. There is some blood and remaining feather "stumps" in the tail area. All I have done so far is seperate and pour some hydrogen peroxide on them.

What else should I do? I do have Neosporin and Bacitracin (sorry for the really bad spelling) available. The two boys seem to be acting fine otherwise.

Thanks!
Keri

The not eating part is a whole different can of worms, but your immediate problem of them being attacked by the other chickens can be solved by not keeping them together. I don't mean this to sound rude, but in most instances- you can't keep them together with 'normal' chickens. They are like big lumbering babies- they don't act right, sound right or look right to the others. They are slow and clumsy- and tend to get bullied- and they cannot run away effectively. Maybe if they survive to adult hood (not in size- which they will get by 10-14 weeks old), but in action/sound/behavior- the others will accept them, but you will need to introduce them carefully. If you have more damage than pulled & broken feathers and raw skin- topical antibiotics may be needed. But if it is just road rash, feather damage- you just need to clean it and maybe put on some sunblock to keep them from getting burned. Keep them separate from the normal chickens. Most do not survive long if kept past 4-5 months, they get breast blisters, leg problems, foot problems and organ failure. If you plan to keep them for as long as they naturally live- you should make them their own area with deep bedding, no or very low perches, and make sure they have good shade to keep cool- as they overheat very easily.

Back
Top Bottom