My two wyandotte chickens

Sunnys Chickens

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2015
Adelaide, South Australia
Hi everyone we have a couple of wyandotte chickens we bought as hens but seem to have started developing rooster traits, one we are certain is a roo the other we are not so sure as is a bit less red in the face and has different feathering

She is on left

Maybe hen...

Mr roo..

I am new to chickens but I guess yours are hens. The one in question's legs look so small.

I notice that yours has a single comb like my Blue Laced Red Wyandotte.
smile.png

12 weeks old

6 months old

Last edited:
Hey Sunnys Chickens

Apologies that I am unable to assist with gender on your Wyandotte’s; they are very beautiful.

I actually posted because I wanted to comment on Werin’s picture of the 6 month old .. that is an amazing photo! Looking at it on the thread (without opening) it looks too perfect and shiny to be real! I had to enlarge the image to work out that it was real .. beautiful bird with stunning colour and markings!
love.gif

You should consider entering that image in the BYC Calendar competition when they call for submissions.

We bought these two as a impulse buy they were about a week old running around under a silkie at the local fodder store, there were about 6-7 chicks half of the chicks had a wider double comb which the fodder store owner said were roosters but now I think otherwise.

They are around 10-12 weeks, they are so pretty would be a shame if they are both roos, they are very friendly, much friendlier than lilly our 9 month old light sussex hen who crowed yesterday!

We bought these two as a impulse buy they were about a week old running around under a silkie at the local fodder store, there were about 6-7 chicks half of the chicks had a wider double comb which the fodder store owner said were roosters but now I think otherwise.

They are around 10-12 weeks, they are so pretty would be a shame if they are both roos, they are very friendly, much friendlier than lilly our 9 month old light sussex hen who crowed yesterday!

They both look like cockerels to me. Wyandottes are supposed to have rose combs but some pop up with the recessive single comb. The ones with the wider combs had the rose combs. There's no correlation between the comb type (Rose vs single) and their sex. I hope you are able to keep one of them where you live. My wyandotte roosters are very sweet and friendly.

We are thinking about keeping our light sussex roo so we will keep these guys as long as we can.

How will they go all together, we have 7 chickens in total, where we are west of Adelaide, South Australia I can hear a few local roos in the morning so I am not too concerned about complaints.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom