my two year old wont leave incubator alone!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nstilwater, Nov 27, 2011.

1. nstilwater

nstilwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    i am so frustrated, my two year old has made the connection between the eggs and the baby chicks. now he keeps opening it up and asking "Bird?" now my duck eggs have been cold all day off and on.....never below 95.......and im sure the humidity is going up and down.......just hope they hatch i have three eggs in there all alive two days ago. gonna be runner crosses dont know what daddy was either Pekin, Khaki Campbell or Black east Indie.......please tell me the eggs will be ok

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    You can hope there okay!! Sounds like you need to move the incubator out of his reach!!

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:X2

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:x 100 !!!

You really can't expect a 2 year old to understand enough to leave an incubator alone. At two years most kids' brains just aren't going to be sufficiently developed to be able to comprehend what you'd be asking of them here, so there would be no point in smacking/punishing him in the hopes that he would learn. Not yet. Save that for when he's a bit older. [​IMG] In the meantime, you really have to re-site your bator. Somewhere he can't reach, and preferably can't see either, that way he'll most likely forget about it after a day or so. Don't forget to make sure the cable is out of reach too...

Good luck with your eggs!

5. idispatch4911

idispatch4911 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2011
    Southern Utah
    I've got twin 4 year olds and I'll be starting my first incubation in a few weeks. I'm curious to see how they will handle it. 4 is way older than 2 and better at following directions, but I'm still nervous!!

6. georgiagail

georgiagail Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been known to raise cut throat finches (who have a tendency to throw chicks out of the nest if disturbed) in a closet to give them privacy.

As previously mentioned, a two year old lacks the ability to understand why they shouldn't open the incubator. Best to keep it away from them.

Gail

7. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Doesn't really sound like a chicken problem at all now does it [​IMG]

8. Jay262

Jay262 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    They should be fine i have had hatches that the kids lowered the temps and they were ok if it got a few degrees higher you might have been in trouble. You may or may not lose some due to this is hard to say but i am gonna say its unlikely you will. With all this said now go move your incubator so the kids cant touch it i built a shelf well out of reach for mine.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  9. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Just move it out of reach for both the egg's and childs safety, makes sense to me [​IMG]

10. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    welcome to my world [​IMG]

put it in a closet and put a lock on the closet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by