My Velociraptor has gone broody and is still laying eggs.

Shared Acres

Songster
11 Years
Aug 10, 2008
Northeast Fla
Ok, we have a mutt chicken (probably RIR & game hen), named Rotisseree, she just started laying eggs last week. My Silkies lay cream colored eggs, she has started laying a bigger white egg.

She goes into the chicken house gets in the box on the golf ball and if anyone gets near her she screeches at them (think girly velociraptor!).

She has laid 3 eggs thus far! I have taken them away every day and yet she just sits on the one golf ball. I pull her out and let her run with the others and she'll eat and then go back in. If she sees another hen going up the ramp she runs up to them poofs out and makes the velociraptor sounds before attacking them and then running back into the box to protect her golf ball.

I wish I knew how to upload videos, as I've been recording her on my cell phone. It's hysterical.

Thing is, I didn't think broodies layed eggs! But she's doing it, and YES, I'm certain it is her still laying the egg about every other day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to have a hen that laid every day and kept her butt parked in the barn cats' food dish all day. DH was the only one that could relocate her to the coop every night. If I tried, I would end up with bloody stumps where my hands used to be. I used to tell DH that Buffy was HIS chicken. Unfortunately, she was among the dead in a savage dog attack. I now consider Butterscotch (Buff Cochin) to be DH's. He rather likes her and deserves a sweet hen after the last one.

She laid another egg today.

I gave her 6 eggs yesterday and she has been parked on them. But still seems to lay every other day. BTW today was her 3rd egg ever.

I've never heard of a broody laying their first egg and then going broody!

Heck she was in the nest box half the day before she even laid her first egg. CRAZY chicken.

If hubby gets near her, she puts her tail up like "Come here big boy"

Back
Top Bottom