My Very First Brooder (Pix)

Thanks for all the kind words guys, good to know I didn't mess it up too bad. When they are a little bigger I am gonna get some higher pieces of wood to use for a perch for thier roosting. The one in there now I feel is too low. We shall see..

BTW, what does DH stand for? I see it used ALOT...I assume Dang Husband?
idunno.gif

BTW, what does DH stand for? I see it used ALOT...I assume Dang Husband?

If that were the answer, then wouldn't we also see GDH or GDexH in my case?
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Awesome brooder. Your peeps should be happy campers till its time to go out. I built a smaller version similiar for my 2 week old peeps and they like it lots. Did the wire bottom and catch tray underneath too. Right now I have them on litter cause I read some stuff about chicks developing an immunity to cocci something by exposure. I don`t remember how to spell it out? But I read about the pros n cons of a wire floor and a litter floor? Wire keeps everything cleaner but the litter helps with the immunity thing and gets them started on scratchin for food. The book I`ve got is Storey`s guide to raising chickens. I`m new at this too so maybe It`ll help explain things? The one thing I`m havin so much fun with is building all the stuff! Also I agree that the infra red lights help prevent pecking and caniablism with peeps. I`m also the city boy gone country n lovin it! Maybe ifn I had been born in the country instead of good ol NYC I might`ve turned out normyl? Proabley not lol. What else have you built?
cool.png

Quote:
I built a Coop too, but I gotta be honest I don't like it, it's to hard to clean out, and I built it before I read up on them...Otherwise it would be a floor model so I can WALK in and clean it, instead of CRAWL in and clean it.
I figured when I added the side swinging door that I would be able to do it fairly easily...however...as you can guess by now, soon enough I will build the brooder I actually want, or if I find an old building, I may bring it over and use it. I don't know, we shall see.

Here's the pictures anyways.

Also a couple of the chicken's...
bow.gif

105_0609.jpg

105_0610.jpg

105_0611.jpg

105_0612.jpg

105_0613.jpg

105_0614.jpg

105_0615.jpg

Any idea as to what breed or sex these big white ones are? They seem VERY old...I am gonna give them to somebody...just gotta find a taker.

Last edited:
Quote:
That's fine. What you are making is window casements, but without glazing. Cover the windows with wire mesh or poultry wire netting, instead.
Allow for the bottom to pivot out from the middle, so you can get inside from a crouch to clean. You could make the upper half of windows hinge on the sides, too, I suppose, dutch door fashion, if you thought getting inside this way would be useful. The more window area open to the sun and fresh air the better.

Make a flip up weather board for the top section of each window to keep out driving rain and wind and they should do nicely. When not needed, this shield can be flipped up and away to allow for ventilation.

In the end, you will have what is really an open front or "fresh air" house. Your chickens will thank you for it, I assure you.
In winter, you can cover the windows out side and in as needed to help keep out the cold. Although in FL, that mayn't be a problem
smile.png

Last edited:
Nice job for sure!
clap.gif
I always thought the DH was dear husband...but I know you have to keep it i the context that it's written, in which case, Mo is dead on!

Back
Top Bottom