my very own micro farm

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by attimus, Jan 2, 2015.

1. attimus

attimus Chillin' With My Peeps

Just came out to this guy in my backyard. About to turn my dog loose on him. Good size for being wild. Can anyone say Turkey dinner in a few months. Lol.
    [​IMG]
    And as I started typing this he walked up to the kelso cage like he was going to challenge Apollo. Lol good luck with that. Half s mind to let him out I'm sure he'd kill that turkey. ;)

2. attimus

Put 50 feeder fish in the pond about 2 hours ago. Don't think there are any survivors. Lol. My ducks sure do love them, not sure if the Swedes even had a chance at them. More weed eating to do today. On the days we let the girls out they disappear in it. Kinda funny but its gotta come down.

3. attimus

It just occured to me the reason that tom was in my yard this morning is because of my crow caller. After reading the box in greater detail there is an asterix about turkey calling back to specific sequences of caws, crazy right, well yesterday morning I could hear the tom in the distance while I was using it. Gave some justification to its purchase even as cheap as it was. Just over 12$ on amazon. So if I can keep that thing coming back until thanksgiving I'll be a happy camper.

The feeder I made by sheer coincidence roughly fits a 50# bag of feed. For being all from scrap that worked out well. Im thinking of building more with slats between to fit multiple types of feed. Especially with the new chicks getting so big so fast I'm going to have to rethink my feeders in the main coop.

Got a spot of weedeating done before work today, I don't know if anyone is familiar with miners lettuce but blasting through that with a high powered two stroke engine is like the hulk spitting in your face for a half hour straight.

And I finally have visual confirmation of my last hen laying today which brings me up to 7. And of course it was burgler, just waiting for the weather to improve I guess. She's the one I'm really interested in getting eggs from to hatch of our originalish chickens, GreenlegkelsoXswedishflowerXamericauna just sounds crazy and I'd like to try and get her and Apollo together at some point and see if we can't also get some eggs with less sfh and more kelso. Going to be an interesting summer to say the least already starting to get hot here.
    Onward and upward
    Attimus

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  4. darina

darina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2014
    Oh my! Visits from a healthy husky tom and The Hulk spitting in your face makes for an eventful week. I loved that image you gave, so I will return the favor...

My dad has always been super safety concious, so when I was permitted to use power tools as a teen, I was well outfitted. The first two or three times I got to run the weed whacker, I was wearing my mom's old goldflake motorcycle helmet with the face sheild. We were obviously not too preoccupied about what the neighbors might think. Ours was the first house on the road, so everyone had to drive past us!

5. attimus

I bet there's a photo of that somewhere. And I bet that photo is priceless. Lol. All you were miss sing was a cape, wait was there a cape. 0.0

6. darina

May 10, 2014
    No cape, and I believe no photo. I probably was wearing some Carharts or army pants. When I was a teenager my philosophy for what to wear was "the weirder, the better." My poor parents! But the helmet was Mom's idea. And I meant to say goldflake RED helmet. It was pretty sweet, but it felt like it weighed a ton.

7. attimus

Couldn't help it. Had to get them. Soooo cute.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Silver laced wyndottes. The lady has been wanting some for a while and they just happened to be at the feed store when I stopped in for bands this morning. And in true fashion of get the birds then build the stuff, I'm throwing together a little box for them before work. They are a week old now so by the time they will go outside in the condo the lorps should be ready to stay in the main coop. Got some other stuff done but who cares I've got chicks. Lol.

8. darina

May 10, 2014
    You caved! Isn't that funny that no matter how many chickens you have, chicks are still exciting? At least that's better than getting a bunch of puppies every couple of months. Only 2 or 3 times have I been accused of being a "chicken hoarder!"
    [​IMG]

9. attimus

Cave...me...no way..... ;) I reeallly needed this new addition. That brings us up to 23 birds total between chickens and ducks with 2 potential clutches of ducklings.

Added the last square of 2x4 to the potato box, now we'll see how it does.

More weed eating before work. Even knocking out a half hour a day it still seems daunting and its literally getting thicker by the minute. Lol.

Picked up the rest of the bins and a dremel to get those self sifting worm bins going. Only the hardware for one but I need to get it figured out then I'll go back and pick up the nuts and bolts. The worms are doing great, lots of beetles and still pulling pupae out when I check it. The second batch should be just around the corner from a lot of pupae as well.

10. attimus

Put this together for the silvers. Pretty fast and cheap brooder for chicks if you have all the stuff.
    [​IMG]
    Is it weird I bring my chicks with me for a visit to the in laws'. The last time I brought the lorps down I took them over to my friends house to show is family. And to put that seed in their heads. :) visited him again this time and I should have brought the new ones with me there, he was asking all kinds of questions about space and feed. Feeling like a little chicken pusher. Haha. Who else can I convince to get chickens. Hmmmm. 4 at work currently with chickens and another well on the way.

Saw my first wood ducks yesterday on a little creek next to a bike path down here. I'm sold I want them NOW. But that's going to be a whole new build so must wait for the pond to be finished at the very least. But man are they cool looking.

Back up the mountain in a bit with the closet doors that are getting repurposed for the rest of the kelso roof. I'll have it finished this afternoon and the whole run and coop will be roofed. The bit of chicken wire on top looks a little sloppy and I don't like staring at it. Also have the 2x4s to rip to finish the outside and then its down to a lid for the feed and some detail work.

More weedeating to do as well. Almost done with the most commonly used area by all the birds, then its onto the rest of the property and clearing out my disc golf course. Trying to find your Frisbee in two feet of grass and weeds can be pretty challenging.

Ttfn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by