My Vet (uk) won't see my sick Chicken because of Avian Flu restrictions.

BeakyBlinders

Chirping
Oct 28, 2019
Worcestershire, UK
Hi everyone....has anyone had the same issue and how did you overcome it?
My oldest girl (Tallulah) has a bad case of classic Mycoplasma...swollen closed eye, bubbling and runny nose....been battling this on and off for a number of years in the flock.
I think the 'stress' of being locked down in the run (they are usually free range) due to the Avian flu has caused this to raise its head in a couple of my older birds. One of them has got over it, but Tallulah is not getting better. Time for some antibiotics to get the swelling down and make her feel a bit better (I know it doesn't cure it, just alleviates the symptoms).
However, when I called my Vet they refused to give drugs without seeing the Chicken (fine), but then refused to see her because of the avian flu lockdown. They won't even do a home visit......my poor girl is in distress and I cant get any support for her....anyone got any ideas or had the same issue with their Vet refusing to see chickens because of Avian Flu?
Thanks

Will they accept pictures or video?
nope. They said they have to 'see' and inspect the animal live..apparantly thats the law before they can diagnose or give out meds.....funny that as currently 'humans' can get meds via phonecalls and chats with Doctors! Does anyone know any Vets that would take video or photo evidence to prescribe ?

Can you get fish antibiotics in the UK? That is what we do here if a vet isn't an option.

Or find a friend or relative who maybe didn't finish a prescription.

Hey! Did your vet see you in the end at all? I have a hen with an infected prolapse and she needs antibiotics and anti inflammatories but I remember the vet saying she cant give medication without seeing the hen (was another occasion last year) but waiting for the vet to call me back but worried they wont see or treat her as we are still stuck in avian flu restrictions 🙄

When I read the title on BYC main page, I thought you was making a joke. I never in a million years would have thought a vet wouldn't see a sick chicken because of a sickness... It would be like them shutting down our hospitals because they are afraid sick people might show up.... Wow.... Time to find a new vet.

Hi everyone....has anyone had the same issue and how did you overcome it?
My oldest girl (Tallulah) has a bad case of classic Mycoplasma...swollen closed eye, bubbling and runny nose....been battling this on and off for a number of years in the flock.
I think the 'stress' of being locked down in the run (they are usually free range) due to the Avian flu has caused this to raise its head in a couple of my older birds. One of them has got over it, but Tallulah is not getting better. Time for some antibiotics to get the swelling down and make her feel a bit better (I know it doesn't cure it, just alleviates the symptoms).
However, when I called my Vet they refused to give drugs without seeing the Chicken (fine), but then refused to see her because of the avian flu lockdown. They won't even do a home visit......my poor girl is in distress and I cant get any support for her....anyone got any ideas or had the same issue with their Vet refusing to see chickens because of Avian Flu?
Thanks
See Private Message. Do not respond to the message on this thread!

Back
Top Bottom