My water heater

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mrkep, Sep 9, 2010.

1. mrkep

mrkep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Richwood , Ohio
    I have been thinking about a water heater for this winter, so here's what I came up with. I used a 10" clay pot(fire-proof) made a stand for it with a light fixture inside. The whole thing is 12" high, which should keep it above the deep litter, and if need be, I can put some bricks under the base. The total cost is $9.00, not figuring the wood scraps. Whaddaya think?
    mrkep
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Nice job. It should work great

3. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    looks good would like to know if the pot gets hot? are you using a plastic or metal waterer?

4. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I'd never have a use for it where I live, but I like it! [​IMG] The clay pot will radiate the heat nicely and I'll bet it wouldn't take that big of a bulb to keep your water liquid. My only thought would be I'd want to make sure that the grooves the pot sits in are lower than the level of metal box, just in case water ever dripped down. Very clever. I'm also very jealous of your shop. [​IMG]

5. mrkep

mrkep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Richwood , Ohio
    Hi Snowflake,
    I'm using a 5 gal plastic waterer. I haven't put a bulb in it yet, I'm thinking that if the pot does get warm, it will relieve DW's concerns about her chickies getting too cold.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by