My week old poult "STOMPS" Is this normal??

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by lcourtaway, Apr 24, 2009.

1. lcourtaway

lcourtaway Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2008
    St. Louis Missouri
    My first poult, 8 days old, does this weird thing with it's feet. Especially when it eats at the feeder/waterer. It kinda "shifts" it's weight from one foot to the other. It almost looks like it's stomping it's feet. Both legs, joints, toes etc look perfect. I've been over them with a magnifying glass and he's on pine shavings. Do poults "stomp"? Could there be something wrong with him? Is it because he's growing and getting heavier? Am I becoming a neurotic first time turkey mother??

2. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    I know very little about turkeys but I am giving you a little bump to try to catch a turkey persons eye

3. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Is he "scratching" the ground trying to spill his food? Chickens scratch the ground to discover bugs or other treats. Just a thought.

4. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    dunno [​IMG]

5. crazycluck

crazycluck Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    Norco, CA
    I have 2 turkeys that do that all the time! My daughter thinks they are dancing just for her![​IMG]

6. chicdaddy

chicdaddy New Egg

May 2, 2009
    Check for any spots on his / her feet, could be something there as there legs, toes are very fragile at the young age.

7. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

They are just being turkeys, nothing to worry about

Steve in NC

8. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    I have no idea if what your turkeys are doing is the same or not, BUT some birds will 'tapdance' or stom around when they have mites and other little buggies on their legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by