My Welsummer Rooster just Won the Golden Gloves Award

the old rooster

Songster
8 Years
May 19, 2014
Crete,Illinois
I went out to Check on My 3 coops/runs and I seen my Rooster that has 7 Hens to protect ,going Crazy in the Coop. He was Screaming up a storm and had something he was throwing around the coop . I thought he went crazy and was killing the Hens, until I seen He had an Opossum cornered and was Kicking the Heck out of Him. It took me some time to get the Rooster to back off and see that I was on his side (the Rooster's) and I was able to get the Opossum on a Snow Shovel and get him out of the Coop . The Rooster kept and Eye on Me and the Burglar ( that's what the Rooster called him) until I was a good way away from the coop. The Opossum was pretty beat up but still alive so I put him into a good overgrown area on our land. I dont kill any Animal unless necessary and I'm defending my Animals so , I believe the Opossum will take the beating into consideration if he/she is looking for a free meal it will look some ware else . And the Rooster got Extra Meal Worms for Himself and His Ladies for an Evening Treat.

PS: this all happened quite fast so no picture's, although wish there was .

Good for him! Impressive!
Were the birds free ranging? If this opossum could get into a closed coop and run, your security needs improving.
Mary
True,True,True, The actual coop is an old tractor shed I converted and time has shown a few boards that needed to be more secured , This is a rural property and it was a coop built into the shed in the back ,so I used it for my Chickens and I will be going over it more with some 1/2 inch hardware cloth ,presently I have some 2 x 4 fencing I used and ,well , live and Learn and share knowledge on this site. all my 2x4 wire will be up graded in the next few weeks.

I went out to Check on My 3 coops/runs and I seen my Rooster that has 7 Hens to protect ,going Crazy in the Coop. He was Screaming up a storm and had something he was throwing around the coop . I thought he went crazy and was killing the Hens, until I seen He had an Opossum cornered and was Kicking the Heck out of Him. It took me some time to get the Rooster to back off and see that I was on his side (the Rooster's) and I was able to get the Opossum on a Snow Shovel and get him out of the Coop . The Rooster kept and Eye on Me and the Burglar ( that's what the Rooster called him) until I was a good way away from the coop. The Opossum was pretty beat up but still alive so I put him into a good overgrown area on our land. I dont kill any Animal unless necessary and I'm defending my Animals so , I believe the Opossum will take the beating into consideration if he/she is looking for a free meal it will look some ware else . And the Rooster got Extra Meal Worms for Himself and His Ladies for an Evening Treat.

PS: this all happened quite fast so no picture's, although wish there was .
That is brilliant, good on you and Mr Roo! ❤️🐓💗🐔💕🐥👌

I also use welded wire with chicken wire. It works.
IMG_20200428_102816.jpg

Back
Top Bottom