My White Crested adult duck is having seizures

tookeeper

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 22, 2012
Princess Beatrice is 2 1/2 years old. On Saturday night she had what we initially thought was a broken neck. She had the top of her head flat on the ground and was flopping her head around from side to side. She was unable to hold her head up. She was able to stand and was not flopping over on her back like I have read on some of the other threads. Her balance is fine. She just couldn't hold her head up and she was squawking LOUDLY. My husband and I brought her inside to examine her and could not find even a feather out of place. No blood, no scratches...nothing. We gently moved her head and neck all around and she seemed to have no discomfort. She was now freakishly quiet though.

Sunday morning she was up and playing in the water and shaking her head all around and seemed totally happy and normal. We decided to leave her in for the day to rest and put our other duck out to stomp around the back yard.

This morning. My husband called me at work and said she is doing it again. I have read some threads recommending Vitamins E and B, but these recommendations are for duckings. I am not seeing anything for adult ducks. Remember she is 2 1/2 years old. I guess my question is what should I give her and how much? Also, some insight on what might be going on with her will be greatly appreciated. The other duck is totally fine and acting normally. They have been raised together since they were little "lings".

I saw something about giving her Activated Charcoal. How do I do that, why, how much and how often, for how long?

I am reading about Niacin. How do I do that, why, how much and how often, for how long?
Vitamins B & E have also been mentioned. Can I OD her on all of this stuff? Do I need to give all of it?

I guess what I am asking for is for some of you experts out there to tell me what to do. I am clueless.

We did take her to the vet today. They recommended everything from CT scans to blood work to x-rays. All very expensive. We don't have that kind of money. They did give her fluids, an antibiotic injection and are sending us home with antibiotics also they gave her an injection of Vitamin B. She has been at the vets all day and the hubby is picking her up now.

Please let me know your thoughts on what we should do from here.

Thank you!

ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png
Unfortunately this isn't unheard of in crested ducks. Niacin can be purchased in a pill form and added to their water. Also,yes it is possible to overdose them on it. I would start her on some vitamins and just monitor her.

She is on two different kins of Antibiotics. Should I just leave it at that for now? She's not much better after her trip to the vet yesterday. She has had two doses of the medicine so far.

I would still add vitamins. To be honest I highly doubt that antibiotics is going to do anything in this case. This sounds like a neurological issue that was caused by the crested duck gene or possible head trauma.

Last edited:
Okay.
What vitamins should I get?
How much should I give her?
How often and for how long?
I am needing some specific and detailed instruction. Your help is very much appreciated.
Thank you!

Seizures can happen in Crested ducks, not so much from the "crested gene", but simply because of how the skull is formed in the breed. The condition usually declairs itself much earlier. I have been breeding Crested ducks for over 20 years. I seldom get any birds older than 6 months that have seizures, but in my flock any bird that has a seizure is culled.

I don't breed her, (actually she is a he as there have been no eggs...ever.) She is simply our pet and we love her. I am trying my best to save her. What do you know about the vitamin therapy? Could you please tell me the following if you know?

What vitamins should I get?
How much should I give her?
How often and for how long?
I am needing some specific and detailed instruction. Your help is very much appreciated.
Thank you!

Vitamin E and Vitamin B Complexes are good for neurological issues.

This will vary depending upon brands.

I would continue them for a a few weeks especially if she is showing any response to it.

Back
Top Bottom