My White Crested adult duck is having seizures

Kevin 565,

How many MGs per dose and how many times per day? I haven't started her on them because you said it is possible to overdose her. I need to know how much to give her and how often.
Thank you.

I usually buy 100 mg vitamins. I usually give a pill twice a day in a small waterer.

Thank you Kevin. I will give it a try. So sad for my Princess Beatrice....
hit.gif

Crested? Thats not good.That means they have a hole in their skull covered by a fatty blob and feathers.Very cruel to breed them and to keep them alive. No offence,i`m only saying that because it might give you some good info.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry you and your duck have to go through this all
hugs.gif
. We can all tell that you care very dearly for her. Hopefully she will make a full recovery!

Hi tookeeper. Sorry my link didn't work Apparently that site was revamped so I did a search and have come up with the following tidbits of information.....Hope and pray something will help you or other poultry keeper.This question raised on the link is if the duck has been accidentally poisoned by field poison left out by others that has a form of strichnine in it. Apparently strichnine has quite a long "life" out in the open. it is used to control moles, etc. Strychnine is still allowed in some agricultural settings.

I would think that it would also help should you think they ingested anything they shouldn't - say out of compost pile. I know our ducks just dig deep around their pond area we built. It is possible that there may have been some droppings of strychnine by other animals which they ingested or were deep in the environment. Here is what it says to control seizures: intravenous diazepam (Valium R). Once seizures are controlled, unabsorbed strychnine can be removed from the stomach by gastric lavage of tannic acid (strong tea) or potassium permanganate solutions used as chemical antidotes.

"strychnine are infrequent due to its classification as a restricted use pesticide, with use limited to certified applicators. Strychnine treated peanut bait for mole control was removed from the market in the late 1960's due to accidental pet poisonings.

Strychnine is a potent poison for all animals including humans, and its use should be discouraged." I know this may or may not help your situation, but I know that our ducks love to dig down in deep holes around their water area.

I have used charcoal water to absorb accidental eating of a poisonous plant with one of our chickens with success) I am glad to know that I can use strong tea (room temp of course) . We have tested our poultry feed from time to time and have found it to be "off" in listed contents. By law, feed only has to be tested at intervals, not continuously. Once it was overloaded with salt and literally killed our birds. So it could also be that the duck is not getting enough of those vitamins are needed and glad that Kevin 565 gave you references to it. Still thinking of you and hoping and praying all will be fine.

Princess Beatrice seems much better today. She seems to have a bit of a head tilt, but at least she is holding it up. She seems to be fighting us when administering the medicine, so I think that is good too. At least she has formed an opinion! We have been keeping her isolated from our other duck as he seems to have taken to beating her up. I plan this weekend to but him in and let her be out and watch her closely. Will keep you all posted. Thank you for all of your help! Things are looking up! (No pun intended!)

I'm so glad she's making improvements! I hope she continues to recover!

Back
Top Bottom