my white rocks are dying HELP!!!

chickabator

Songster
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
ky
I had 9 5 week old white rock chicks, dh fed them some cracked corn and layer pellets, I told him not too but he did anyway now I have lost 4 and two more on on their way out. a friend of his at work said that his nephew feeds his yard mix (layer pellets, a bunch of seeds, and whole corn and cracked corn ) and never gives his any grit or anything else I told him not to believe everything they say but he does and now my chickens are dying:hit:hit
there is blood all over their pen and blood all over their bums. how can I keep the rest from dying? I only have 5 left and 2 of them are dying. PLEASE HELP ME SAVE MY CHICKENS!!!

I am concerned too! I have had my 10 week (and 6 week olds) on ONLY baby chick feed and clover....
he.gif
Today I gave a "treat mix" of cracked corn/crimpt oats and scratch...... Only a small bucket.

does this cause death???? When can I feed treat mix and how much??? please help me too... I want to run to the chicken coop to check on the chicks. Please some advise!!!
sad.png

you said "blood all over their pen" ... are they now outside? could they have contracted coccidiosis? Are they on soil? Have you been feeding medicated or non-medicated feed? Give them the PolyViSol w/o iron vitamins, and try some ACV in their water or put them on Amprolium. Give them some yogurt to eat, and remove the cracked corn from their area. I hope your babies make it.

he didn't feed them much but they look like they are hemoraging out their backsides. there is blood everywhere in their pen. out of all of the chickens my white rocks have always been my favorite. now after he sold all of them and then I bought eggs and hatched them and got them to this size they are dying on me. I honestly could just set down and cry my eyes out. he is not the one that takes care of them from the time they are hatched I am! and then he calls them his chickens i am so mad

yes there is blood everywhere even on their bottoms like they are free bleeding from their vents not just when they poop. I had not had a problem till he fed them the cracked corn and layer pellets. I told him not too and now my chickens are dying!!! they were on medicated starter

thanks, I guess I will just have to wait it out and see if anymore dye on me. I am so upset!!! this day really does stink!!!

Quote:
They should be fine. Just remember as with any treat...give it in moderation. My girls have had chick scratch and hen scratch off and on since they were 5 weeks old...they are over a year old now. They have always gotten scrambled egg, steamed rice, fresh veggies, cooked oatmeal, applesauce...they love it but I only allow it moderation.

I do not think it will kill them.

The layer food for a chick could be a problem because it has way too much calcium in it. I do not think a bloody vent and etc would be the result though. That sounds like cocci which can be treated with antibiotics.

it is not bloody poop it is blood draining out of their vents. like something has torn their insides out . I put them on sulmet yesterday just incase it was cocci. they did not do this till they ate the corn and layer

Do you see any sign of injury on their backsides - any sign that they are pecking one another's vents? This is how cannibalism starts and it sounds to me like that's what's going on. In any event, if there is blood on their vent area, the others will soon begin to eat it alive. Clean them up and dry them off and look for signs of being pecked.

Feeding them layer pellets would not make them bleed out their vents. As posted, Cocci causes bloody poop so if its in the poop, give them Sulmet in their water.

Back
Top Bottom