My Wilma is sick please advise

CrazyChickLady64

Songster
Nov 5, 2023
Sulphur Springs Texas
Wilma has been acting under the weather for several days now but eating and drinking. She had a dirty butt but has always been a lazy pooper. I gave her an Epsom salt bath 2 days ago and cleaned her butt. Gave her some poultry nutra drench and electrolytes. The next day she seemed much better even getting in the middle of the girls for her share of mealworms and scratch. Last night before bedtime I fed her some scrambled eggs just to give her a boost. Today she didn't come down from her roost. I gave her an Epsom salt bath brought her in and she ate a little. I gave her more nutra drench and she drank on her own. I also put a little Vet Rx on her beck.
I have checked her for mites/lice nothing, her crop is good, her vent looks normal but a little red. I'm thinking from the dirty but. Her poop looks pretty normal. Her comb is pale. Now on and off she is opening her beck and panting. Any advice please.

Attachments

• IMG_20240301_203648516.jpg
    IMG_20240301_203648516.jpg
    418.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20240301_203637414.jpg
    IMG_20240301_203637414.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 3
That labored breathing without coughing or sneezing and that poopy butt indicates possible gapeworm. This is possibly a helpful article:

https://thisnzlife.co.nz/signs-your-chickens-might-have-gapeworm-plus-how-to-treat-it/

In USA I think you'll need a vet to get your hands on either drug to treat gapeworm. A natural remedy is garlic and ACV in water for at least 3 days. As indicated in article, the life cycle of gapeworm includes time in the soil, so I would probably treat the area they forage in with some food grade diatomaceous earth. I treat my flock regularly with garlic and ACV in their water as a preventative measure, you might want to also add a SMALL amount of food grade diatomaceous earth in their food.

Her crop is emptying overnight?

What's her poop like?

When was her last egg?

Has she been dewormed?

I'd start with hydration like you're doing. If she's not laid an egg and should have, then get extra Calcium into her asap. 1 Calcium Citrate with D3 tablet, open her beak and pop it in, let her swallow. Give once daily for a few days.

Encourage her to eat once she's drinking on her own. Egg and her normal feed sounds good.

Re-check the crop - if it's not emptying, then address that symptom.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

That labored breathing without coughing or sneezing and that poopy butt indicates possible gapeworm. This is possibly a helpful article:

https://thisnzlife.co.nz/signs-your-chickens-might-have-gapeworm-plus-how-to-treat-it/

In USA I think you'll need a vet to get your hands on either drug to treat gapeworm. A natural remedy is garlic and ACV in water for at least 3 days. As indicated in article, the life cycle of gapeworm includes time in the soil, so I would probably treat the area they forage in with some food grade diatomaceous earth. I treat my flock regularly with garlic and ACV in their water as a preventative measure, you might want to also add a SMALL amount of food grade diatomaceous earth in their food.
Thank you so much this is very helpful. Unfortunately she didn't make it💔

I would follow Wyorp Rock’s advice. Gapeworm is very rare. She seems to be having a problem with her reproductive system, and those can include salpingitis, internal laying, and ascites (water belly.) Some observation, checking the crop, offering calcium, and hopefully, you can help her. Look for any enlargement of her belly under the vent that could be fluid.

Back
Top Bottom