My work said "Furloughed," I heard "Time to build a chicken coop!"

Hi Dayna and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya

You may want to consider incorporating a water catch system on your coop and run...

Thank you! I had read about that once and was thinking along those lines. I live in a dryer part of the state but this time is our "rainy" season and I think it would be effective.

Odin is a stunner. I think he is absolutely a sign of good things to come. Welcome to the BYC and the wonderful world of poultry!

Thank you! I'm going to give him a couple of more mature girlfriends (just 2) so that he isn't lonely and make sure they have an enclosed space to get to. He's just lit a hotter fire under me to get everything set up.

Hey there! Im currently building an 8x12 coop myself, i went with a sloped roof for a few reasons. These coops aren't cheap when you do them right, but they should last forever. If you have any questions ill be glad to help.
IMG_20200504_195603.jpg

Hi Dayna! Welcome to BYC! I agree, I'm thinking someone dumped Odin in your yard. He's sure a handsome fella though! I hope he's a good fit with your flock. :)

He's a sweetheart, though he may have gone off to bother the neighbors or back home. He was around yesterday. Ate and drank just fine but come yesterday evening he was off somewhere else. We have neighbors across a pasture (probably 3 acres or so away) who have a coop. We don't know them very well but my mom and I think that Odin was most likely theirs first. I hope he comes back to visit!

Hey there! Im currently building an 8x12 coop myself, i went with a sloped roof for a few reasons. These coops aren't cheap when you do them right, but they should last forever. If you have any questions ill be glad to help. View attachment 2125078

Definitely not cheap but a better bang for my buck than buying a prefab shed at the moment. I think I'll probably end up going with the slanted roof as well. More practical than an A-line and "easier" to install. Yours looks like it is coming along quite nicely! I'm waiting one more week to have funds to make my materials purchase and then its go time!

Well I found Odin some young girlfriends, but he seems to have wondered home. No piles of feathers or evidence he was attacked so I'm hoping he really did belong to our neighbors! You should have seen him when we brought these 3 home though. He tried to fly into the makeshift coop and run area to greet them.

Meet Frigg (the Barred/Plymouth Rock), Goldilocks (Golden Sex Link) and Odessa (Golden Laced Wyandotte). I shared naming rights with family otherwise they probably all would have ended up with Norse Goddess' names because I was on a roll. 🤣

They are 7 to 8 weeks and I'm excited to get to start my flock a little earlier than expected!

Attachments

• 20200505_172143.jpg
    20200505_172143.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom