Mycoplasma gallisepticum PLEASE HELP!

ChickMagnet098

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
i recently got 2 new chickens at an auction. HUGE MISTAKE! turns out that one had Mycoplasma gallisepticum. now it has spread to one of my best hens. and for all i know, all of my 5 hens could have it! considering culling the hole flock, disinfecting EVERYTHING and getting more different chickens. what are your thoughts?
he.gif
barnie.gif

This is from the University of Maine extension service.

"~~How do I disinfect if MG was in my flock? Freezing does not reliably kill MG outside of the host bird, but heat and drying do. Removing the infected flock, thorough cleaning and drying out of the house, and then disinfection with bleach or any of the commercially available products, such as phenolic compounds, should be effective. Leave the premises open (bird-free) for several weeks (hot, dry weather is optimal) before restocking with new birds."

Ugh. So sorry....

I don't have any advice on the disease but make sure you call the auction and let them know that your bird has tested positive for MG, the auction should be able to contact the seller and let them know and also do a double disinfect of their auction house.

What a nightmare.

i recently got 2 new chickens at an auction. HUGE MISTAKE! turns out that one had Mycoplasma gallisepticum. now it has spread to one of my best hens. and for all i know, all of my 5 hens could have it! considering culling the hole flock, disinfecting EVERYTHING and getting more different chickens. what are your thoughts?
he.gif
barnie.gif
If your chickens have all been together without quarantine of the new chickens, then they all are carriers. There are several diseases that resemble one another--MG, IB, Coryza, and ILT. One can't tell for sure which it is without testing or necropsy by the state vet. Although most of these diseases only last a few days on objects, ILT can be in the environment for up to 6 weeks. Here is a link to read about them: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
http://www.gapoultrylab.org/wp-cont...coplasma handout for Backyard Flocks 4-12.pdf
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps034

Here's info on Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG) from the University of Florida. You will have to make the decision whether to cull or not. If you decide to treat and keep your birds, you'll have to maintain a closed flock. Surviving birds are carriers for life and the disease can be passed through eggs as well as clothing, hands, shoes. Stress can bring out symptoms and cause relapse, retreatment with more powerful antibiotics may be necessary as time goes by. If you decide to cull, MG can only survive in the environment for 3 days. Disinfect everything prior to repopulation:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps034

uhh!!!! this makes me to angry! who sells a chicken with this! one of my hens was a showgirl silky. look looks like this, and she is the sweetest this ever. and now i might have to put her down!
somad.gif

Separate the sick ones right away. Then if you have a prize chicken that you want to keep, you could always get it tested by your vet or ask the state vet how to go about it. You may need to wait for a bit to get her tested. This sort of thing happens all the time when dishonest people sell unsuspecting people their sick or carrier chickens, just for the money. Sorry for you and your chickens.

Sorry you have to deal with this. Did you have a bird tested or a dead one necropsied to be sure that is what your dealing with? This is why I stay far, far away from auctions, some people are downright dishonest and don't care about selling sick birds. Other people may have some disease in their flock and may not even know it or know what they are dealing with, selling carrier birds that then show symptoms after being stressed by moving to a new home. It's just a bad situation all the way around.

Last edited:
had dad put all of them down this morning.
hit.gif
i will move the coop and bleach everything before i get any more hens. will be getting more chickens (after closely inspecting them) on may 3rd. is it ok to get more that early as long as i super clean EVERYTHING?

had dad put all of them down this morning.
hit.gif
i will move the coop and bleach everything before i get any more hens. will be getting more chickens (after closely inspecting them) on may 3rd. is it ok to get more that early as long as i super clean EVERYTHING?

I'm so sorry to hear this. Please make sure you have testing done on one of your birds, so that you know for sure what you are dealing with! Knowing the disease will allow you to battle it with all the knowledge available to you.

If you went to far as to cull your flock, I imagine it is very important to you NOT to have it in a new flock, right? So, I would not get chickens as early as May 3rd! You really need to let things settle and let the disease die off in the environment for at least a month, and if you want to be very safe, wait several months. Where do you live? What is the weather like?

Quote: Source: https://microbewiki.kenyon.edu/index.php/Mycoplasma_gallisepticum

Back
Top Bottom